Tarnished track

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that, Max - you're quite right, I'd completely forgotten that the analogue track cleaner had a separate speed control knob for the driving motor - the only one I've ever owned is the DCC version!

Jon.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have both track loco, and.....lgb blocks.
for filthy track, the block. For sap, etc. add lgb fluid or meths to cut through the goo. But…this can result in a film on the track, a mixture of cleaning fluid and sap, etc. which then must be wiped clean with a cloth.

periodically, i use a toothbrush and detergent to remove brass stuff from the pad.
the block is the most effective.
my cleaning loco takes mutiple passes running slowly to come close.

i caution ..some 3m pads are extremely abrasive and will leave tiny dirt collecting scratches.

btw, the LGB cleaning tires, are seemingly identical 3m abrasive used on the lgb block cleaner....whata coinkydink...these seem to last a really long time, like, i have used mine on about 100 ft of track, 3-5 times weekly, 2-3 passes for about 6 months or more a year, since 1993..no need to do the numbers.....the tires are still fine.

thoughts:
1 if track is wet, and or inclined, the cleaning tires may have more traction /purchase than the loco driving wheels....reverse the cleaning wheel leads so they pull. cleaning is almost comparable. tracking through switches is improved. more crud in the cowl.
2 never put weight on the cowl with the cleaning wheels (to increase downward pressure) , youll wear down the gears in short time.
3 clean the dam loco periodically. keep the cleaning wheel axel (at the point of entry into the forward motor block and cowl and other areas clean and remove the brass oxide dust to avoid abrasion, seizing of the axel. (the plastic cleaning tires, can leave tiny tough nylon-like threads from the flanges that wrap the axel). i will remove the cleaning motor block, and go over the area with detergent yearly, relube, etc. i blow the track dust out each time i finish use.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think that the case for use of an LGB track cleaning loco it is really a matter of "Horses for Courses". The product in itself is just one neat solution to an age old problem for maintaining a clean rail head to help ensure a decent power supply to track equipment that take it from the rails. But there are certain circumstances where it is not the all encompassing panacea it is often purported to be, mostly practical in nature. There will be others where it ticks all the boxes, but for some it does not. Every line, and its operators, will have their quirks that either mitigate for or against such a device being a desirable one. It's a great little product if it fits your needs.

Greg, you intimated that in DC mode, rather that DCC, that the LGB track cleaner loco might not be able to offer its full benefits. How is this so ? In my case I had (still have) a thumping Crest 55465, set to 22 v/13 amp output, feeding my track through a 10 amp, late model, Train Engineer 5470 combo. Max

right as you quoted "in DC mode" ... and as I said, it will take voltage and current higher than some units put out.... then you say you do have a high voltage high current supply, good for you.

As I stated, you need these to make it work well in DC mode...

This is "how it is so".... not sure what is unclear to you.... there are other people who will have this limitation for exactly the reasons I stated.... insufficient power....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Have to agree that gooey organic compounds with ANY cleaner are hard to remove WITHOUT some solvent.... true no matter what cleaning system you are using...

That's why I use a Swiffer.... with the wet pads....

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Like Jimmy, I've got about five spots on my RR, brass LGB rail, that have some mild hollows that were ground in by regular LGB locos that got stuck with the wheels turning for various reasons. No noticeable damage to the loco's wheels though. I would have never thought spinning loco wheels could do what they did!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Like Jimmy, I've got about five spots on my RR, brass LGB rail, that have some mild hollows that were ground in by regular LGB locos that got stuck with the wheels turning for various reasons. No noticeable damage to the loco's wheels though. I would have never thought spinning loco wheels could do what they did!
But it is prototypical!

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I think the second one is down to a member also...

I found another picture .... climb out of this one....

JXCOVfZ_OAHiUX1V75Zl4YPHe9HQg-mbHfR6nUzwgP0.jpg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose don't the gangers were too pleased that someone had wrecked their nice new track :rofl:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
On my old 0 gauge exhibition layout I used to put a loco on the stop blocks and let it run in the spot for a minute ir two to clean up wheels at shows. Inevitably there was a modest grove where this was done but it was in a fiddle yard dead end siding so did not matter overmuch. Most of my loco’s would happily do this as they were not over heavy and nine had traction tires. Certainly not recommended for heavy tire fitted G scale locomotives.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 66 was running over some sort of geotextile membrane..
I am guessing that the pressure and friction would turn it into a molten slippery mess?

For fireworks, you want a Yeoman dragging a ballast train out of the quarry, at about 3-5% slip.. :devil:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
For fireworks, you want a Yeoman dragging a ballast train out of the quarry, at about 3-5% slip.. :devil:
I didn't see any Yeoman dragging ballast at the Tower of London.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't see any Yeoman dragging ballast at the Tower of London.
That's not one of their key roles......... Whose Keys? The Queens Keys. Advance the Queens Key..... oops, I'm off on one again...

David

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag