Swift Sixteen coaches

NGKiwi

Trains
23 Dec 2009
Auckland New Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone built the swift sixteen coach kits?
I would like to know if they will negotiate R2 curves (750mm) with 45 gauge track?
And the same for their 4 wheel wagon stock as well?
Thanks
Hugh

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone built the swift sixteen coach kits?
I would like to know if they will negotiate R2 curves (750mm) with 45 gauge track?
And the same for their 4 wheel wagon stock as well?
Thanks
Hugh
Yes they will Hugh.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hugh, I'm in the process of building their mid length brake composite coach. That should be alright. Their short coaches are fine on R1s if you don't go mad, the bogie coaches will if you ignore the instructions about the sole bars and place the as far apart as possible, (I put them against the nails holding the steps in place). One word of warning, some of the parts on all the ones I've built have been warped, so will need flattening, and there isn't any tabs for ease of assembly.
Having said all that, for the price and if you take your time, they are good little models

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag

and

I made an excellent representation of 'teak' panelling interior by using the cheapest brown wrapping paper I could find. It still has the mill marks in it, and looks very like wood grain.

I had 100% trouble-free construction with all three of mine, but admit that I went through a LOT of ACC adhesive and coarse sandpaper sorting out the floor panels. For the money, they are remarkable value, and make up into very respectable models.

Mine benefitted from the usual rash of exta parts, including Accucraft couplings [YMMV], Brandbright brake hoses and roof ventilators and scratch-made hand-rails and grab-rails and coach-end footsteps.

The nifty little Welsh dragon signs are cut out of Rob's high quality business cards, and, to my eyes, look a treat. The 'mind the coach end' and 'mind the step' white highlighters are bits of styrene scrap. The roofs are covered with heavy-weight tissue, as used by model airplane fans, and styrene strips. Note that these make up into substantial models - no lightweights, these - and as such they are unlikely to get blown off the track.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your assistance.
Hugh
Hugh, any kit will be a case of ‘as you’ build it. Sure there are expensive shake the box and it falls together expensive kits and there are cheeper ones that are barely a kit of cut or sometimes uncut wood. All reflect the time and effort that you take to make them, look at any kit as a relaxing enjoyable journey to the Model that you want. The care, effort and love you put into the kit will be reflected in the finished product as Tac has so amply shown with his build of the Swift Sixteen Coaches he has built. You can always add value and enjoyment to any kit by extra detail and a good paint job.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It'sobviously worth remembering that practice makes perfect. Most modellers have an embarrassment somewhere hidden away

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm still practicing :devil::devil::devil:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't everyone?
Yup even apparently Solictors and Surgeons. It is a worry with Solicitors as with their fees one would have thought that they would be past practicing. Then Surgeons, the less said about them practicing on you the better perhaps!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yup even apparently Solictors and Surgeons. It is a worry with Solicitors as with their fees one would have thought that they would be past practicing. Then Surgeons, the less said about them practicing on you the better perhaps!

So do they practice at their practice ? :think::think::think::think:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

What gets me about surgery is that you elect to have surgery - without knowing the odds on survival!
Surgeons (so the addage goes) bury their mistakes. Solicitors just charge you.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's going to make anybody due for an operation happy:tmi:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I thought this was about coaches, doh!! must be thread drift from the surgery stitches.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I thought this was about coaches, doh!! must be thread drift from the surgery stitches.
We're a cheerful lot, but hopefully somebody will put a Swift Sixteen coach together to pull us all together :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
what's the difference between snowdrifts and threaddrifts?
threaddrifts happen the whole year long...
hat, coat, door...
And you don't have to shovel thread drifts :D