In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fellow G Scale Modelers.

Years ago somebody practically gave me one of the Bachmann Suwannee River Southern sets that came with a combine & observation. The side rods and assorted bits on the locomotive were broken and the drivers non functional. I upgraded the 4-6-0 to a newer motor block and I began searching for more cars. If you have ever seen these sets you know that the locomotive is molded in a different color much lighter green plastic and that the combine and observation are painted in a darker Hunter green. I could have just disassembled the locomotive/tender and repainted them to the matching Hunter green but I chose a different route.

I wanted passenger coaches so I started buying the Stephen Foster observations removing the Stephen Foster lettering on the sides and replacing the observation rails at the back with regular Bachmann plastic hand rails. Those were the easy ones. I wanted to add a baggage car so I bought a G kit off of eBay and painted it a lighter shade of Hunter green so that the color of the locomotive would transition a little better and not be quite so jarring from green to dark Hunter green. I then finished it off by lettering and painting the accents on the baggage car. I liked the look so much that I purchased a maroon Bachmann Big Hauler D&RGW baggage, sanded the graphics, white epoxy painted then repainted it Hunter green etc. to turn it into a mail car. This is how they look.

Even on a bad day running or working on my trains makes me feel better!

Attachments

• Suwannee River Southern Bachmann Baggage Mail.jpg
    Suwannee River Southern Bachmann Baggage Mail.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good;);)

Reactions: 1 user