Suitable wood for track laying

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
I built my first g scale railway in May last year. For various reasons I decided to put the track on wood about 9 inches or so above the ground. My layout is an oval and is about 22metres long and I have used a fair number of R1 curves at either end as the track goes around various trees and water features. For the straight track, which is a run of about 18 metres long I have used 5inch by 1 inch treated timber and I also treated the timber with a couple of coats of fence preservative.

For the curves I used external plywood and likewise a couple of coats of preservative. I know last winter was very severe but most of the plywood used on these curves is spliting and warping. The timber used for the straight track is fine.

At some stage I am going to have to replace the curved timber, which is quite a task and I was wondering if any members can suggest any suitable timber for this task.

Kind regards,

Dave

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I am sorry Dave and i am sure others will disagree but most wood rots as i and many others have found.

I am looking at replacing all of the log roll on my line as well as the decking board.

kachamp

Registered
27 Apr 2011
Best answers
Hi Dave
It looks as if this may become a general problem, I know I suffered from rot when I had the track on wood, it is currently laid directly on to gravel but my poor old back is dictating that I should raise it.
Have a look at this stuff, http://www.recycledplasticlumber.co.uk/ , there is actually a picture of some Gscale track on a ladder frame composed of this stuff. As finances allow I am looking to purchase some and see what I can do.

Ken

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
the 5 x 1 inch will last you a good few years, but as stated above, not for ever.
You can use short pieces of board cut at an angle to form the curve and then laminate a second layer over the top but stagger the joints.
This is a rough example I did 4 years ago and still in fine condition.
be3c95b2c2b7405a970cd4de1f9f5cee.jpg

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
I have given up with wood and use metal now or plastic,
fast cheap and will out last me !!!
I will cover it with felt for visual effect later on, and the older sections that are two years old will be rebuilt with the same stuff,
d7ddcf6eee6f435ebd0c85094f8b4e43.jpg
4f731a82bafc4758b8fb71b7851a5664.jpg

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Pete (Mr Spock), where did you get your metal conduit from, and how expensive is it please?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If using plywood, only marine ply will do and that needs treating.

Anything else will blow.

:D:D

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
I go to CEF local branch, I get a discount but they are around £9 for a three metre length of six inch wide, double return edge, I worked out it was £17 plus to do the same length in wood by the time I had sawed it and braced it and covered it in felt then there was extra cost in supporting it,plus I can add to it easy well I think,
nicebutdim said:
Pete (Mr Spock), where did you get your metal conduit from, and how expensive is it please?

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
If you do decide to use wood and i have very sucessfully well treated with celosle type stuff
try this on you corners
1 take a straight peice of wood and lay curve track on top and mark 1 or two inches from inside bend
2 remove track and cut along line
3 the cresent shape you remove gets added to the outer edge and hey presto you have a bent piece of straight wood the same shape as your bend

cfae2c24e565407d80d30eab6706a0e5.jpg

Tony

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
MR SPOCK said:
I will cover it with felt for visual effect later on, and the older sections that are two years old will be rebuilt with the same stuff,
I would have used this elecrical tray the other way up, so that the lip could contain some gravel ballast....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
MR SPOCK said:
I would have used this elecrical tray the other way up, so that the lip could contain some gravel ballast....
Exactly what I intend to do :D

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
not yet got to trying that yet, as all the sections I have used are a metre off the ground, but I have a section that is really in need of replacing soon, tis stuff is available in sections up to two foot wide so gives a good scope for use,
Gizzy said:
MR SPOCK said:

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Mr. Spock, you have some beautiful stone walls in your garden. And I love your metal track support. I'll have to stop by the local box store this week and see if we have something similar here in the Colonies. Thanks for the idea.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I built my line five years ago using wooden poles to raise it from the ground and the first ones are starting to rot:thumbdown: If i was to start again then i would use a more stable material i.e. bricks or blocks etc... I am just about to look into plastics as well:D
I am also thinking about replacing the wood over te next few years:rofl:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
All this talk of rotting wood has got me worried. I seriously intended to extend my line using posts and decking boards (the original is all concrete based). Now I'm having second thoughts. Pete's use of cable trays is a clever idea. I can't really use concrete on the extension as it will be on the side of a stream (unless I use piles:rofl:). Back to the drawing board!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
My railroad is based on timber supports, elevated 24 inches above ground. Curves are laid on marine ply (two layers 19mm thick each, glued and screwed together in a staggered 'brick laying' pattern) edged with 8mm clear cedar each side. Straight sections are laid on either kiln dried pressure treated pine or a clear cedar 'ladder' section support. All timber is treated with a quality preservative.

Suprisingly, the killer for marine ply is actually fresh water. Do not assume that because it is waterproof or marine quality that it does not need both a preservative and a finishing paint coat, such as cheap fence stain.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I seems the posts are the problem Wood will rot quicker if submerged in water (sorry to state the obvious) treated wood above ground will last a life time,
So if you must have a raised track bed how about planting plastic pipe, (Drainpie, Waste pipe etc) and maybe filling with a cement mix if you wanted you can then fix decking boards to the top by finding a square piece of wood that is a tight fit in the end maybe shave or round off the corners so the wood blocks the top end and the decking can screw into
Plastic waste pipe is very strong and quite differcult to bend, Drain down pipe more so. if filled with cement mix would be indistructable

Tony
d1347379ea8149f5b640c96536f8b692.jpg

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Well.........

I'm using 1" marine ply with 3 coats of "cuprinol" then bitumen paint, on top of which is layed roofing felt. Supported by 3" x 3" "fence mate" metposts and - of course - 3" x 3" treated fence posts.

I'll let you know how what happens :D

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
Many thanks for all the helpful messages - as ever very much appreciated. I have considered all the replies but we all have limitations in terms of the layout of the garden (and the extent in which we are "allowed" to "take over" parts of the garden for our hobby - other interested parties! ie the missus!) and also limitations in terms of cost and time.
I have decided to use marine ply and give the wood numerous coats of good quality fence paint. If I get a few years out of it I will be very happy.

I am sure that all the helpful replies here have been useful to the G Scale community as a whole. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Dave