Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
A few years back I fitted an ESU Loksound 4XL decoder in my Bachman Thomas the Tank Engine. I’ve only recently started running the loco again since GD3 has shown a keen interest in trains and Thomas in particular. To my ear, the sounds aren’t very realistic (I can’t recall the sound file I used when I installed the decoder) and I’d like to refresh with a more appropriate set.

Just wondered what other folk have used.

Thanks

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
A few years back I fitted an ESU Loksound 4XL decoder in my Bachman Thomas the Tank Engine. I’ve only recently started running the loco again since GD3 has shown a keen interest in trains and Thomas in particular. To my ear, the sounds aren’t very realistic (I can’t recall the sound file I used when I installed the decoder) and I’d like to refresh with a more appropriate set.

Just wondered what other folk have used.

Thanks
There are five steamers listed on the ESU 4 Series Sound Download Website for the U.K. Just go to the ESU site and listen to the demo sounds and select the one you like best.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
There are five steamers listed on the ESU 4 Series Sound Download Website for the U.K. Just go to the ESU site and listen to the demo sounds and select the one you like best.
So, not sure where you were looking but I only see 5 sounds in total, one of which is a diesel and the other 4 are for tender locos. Hence my original query.

I am not impressed with the ESU products TBH. The manual is laboriously written and hard to follow, the programmer was a pain to get working (who on earth uses RS232 cables these days?!!!) and the software cumbersome to use with regard to the sound files. I was urged to try a Loksound 4 XL by folk at an Open Day who told me it was way better than a Massoth XLS - well, maybe for what they wanted but I really wish I'd stuck with the Massoth decoders I was used to.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
So, not sure where you were looking but I only see 5 sounds in total, one of which is a diesel and the other 4 are for tender locos. Hence my original query.

I am not impressed with the ESU products TBH. The manual is laboriously written and hard to follow, the programmer was a pain to get working (who on earth uses RS232 cables these days?!!!) and the software cumbersome to use with regard to the sound files. I was urged to try a Loksound 4 XL by folk at an Open Day who told me it was way better than a Massoth XLS - well, maybe for what they wanted but I really wish I'd stuck with the Massoth decoders I was used to.
Okay, you found the four UK steamer sound files for the LokSound V4.........just download the one you like the best. There's no basic difference between a tank steam locomotive (Thomas) and a steam locomotive with a tender. The first carries its own water and fuel, the second pulls a tender with it. The main difference in steam locomotives is the size of the locomotive, the larger ones can make a heavier, more pronounced chuff shound, than smaller steam locomotives.

You must have a very old version of the ESU LokProgrammer. All the newer ones use a USB cable for a PC. I just download the sound file to my PC, then click on the sound file and it will automatically start up the LokProgrammer with the decoder connected to a locomotive's motor block, or connected to a test stand motor block like I use for setting up decoders. Once you get a hang for using the LokProgrammer, it's very easy to set up a decoder's mapping and Function Outputs and Voltage Settings for lights, smoker, etc, for the decoder's AUX terminals and F Key assignments. The best way to learn using the LokProgrammer is to get someone to walk you through the process on the phone with you and the experienced person with each having their LokProgrammer activated. It's also important to have the LokProgrammer's latest firmware software downloaded and installed into it.

The ESU sound decoders are far more complex and capable than the Massoth sound decoders, thus the complexity of the ESU Installation Manuals. But the capabilities and quality of the sounds are superior to Massoth, and I'm a dealer for both and use both in customer installations. And ESU has the larger, more extensive sound library. For a Bachmann tank locomotive, either brand decoder will work well.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Okay, you found the four UK steamer sound files for the LokSound V4.........just download the one you like the best. There's no basic difference between a tank steam locomotive (Thomas) and a steam locomotive with a tender. The first carries its own water and fuel, the second pulls a tender with it. The main difference in steam locomotives is the size of the locomotive, the larger ones can make a heavier, more pronounced chuff shound, than smaller steam locomotives.

You must have a very old version of the ESU LokProgrammer. All the newer ones use a USB cable for a PC. I just download the sound file to my PC, then click on the sound file and it will automatically start up the LokProgrammer with the decoder connected to a locomotive's motor block, or connected to a test stand motor block like I use for setting up decoders. Once you get a hang for using the LokProgrammer, it's very easy to set up a decoder's mapping and Function Outputs and Voltage Settings for lights, smoker, etc, for the decoder's AUX terminals and F Key assignments. The best way to learn using the LokProgrammer is to get someone to walk you through the process on the phone with you and the experienced person with each having their LokProgrammer activated. It's also important to have the LokProgrammer's latest firmware software downloaded and installed into it.

The ESU sound decoders are far more complex and capable than the Massoth sound decoders, thus the complexity of the ESU Installation Manuals. But the capabilities and quality of the sounds are superior to Massoth, and I'm a dealer for both and use both in customer installations. And ESU has the larger, more extensive sound library. For a Bachmann tank locomotive, either brand decoder will work well.
Regarding your comments -

The programmer connects to computer via USB but the other end is an RS 232 connector; it's not that old. My SPROG and Massoth devices are older and use USB to USB connections.

Not sure what you mean by "capable" - all I want from a decoder is that it allows me to control the loco it's installed in and to provide facilities for turning lights on and off and a basic set of sounds. Maybe your ear can detect that the sounds are "superior" but. quite frankly, when running in the garden with the inevitable background noises of other locos, wildlife, people, traffic, etc. I doubt many folk will detect the difference.

Like I said, I was urged to try the ESU decoder and for me it's been a disappointment - rather like the twerp I worked with in the US a few years ago who was urged to buy an Audi RS4 and spent most of his time doing his best to trash the gearbox; "my worst car buy ever" he declared.

Basically, products may be technologically splendid but this doesn't mean they meet the needs of everyone who uses them.

Last edited by a moderator:

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
Regarding your comments -

The programmer connects to computer via USB but the other end is an RS 232 connector; it's not that old. My SPROG and Massoth devices are older and use USB to USB connections.

Not sure what you mean by "capable" - all I want from a decoder is that it allows me to control the loco it's installed in and to provide facilities for turning lights on and off and a basic set of sounds. Maybe your ear can detect that the sounds are "superior" but. quite frankly, when running in the garden with the inevitable background noises of other locos, wildlife, people, traffic, etc. I doubt many folk will detect the difference.

Like I said, I was urged to try the ESU decoder and for me it's been a disappointment - rather like the twerp I worked with in the US a few years ago who was urged to buy an Audi RS4 and spent most of his time doing his best to trash the gearbox; "my worst car buy ever" he declared.

Basically, products may be technologically splendid but this doesn't mean they meet the needs of everyone who uses them.
You seemed to be concerned that all four UK steam sound files were for locomotives with tenders, but you could use one of those sound files and it would work fine for your Thomas engine. I didn't mean to spark another War of 1812 where the Brits burned down our White House and attached the U.S. Capitol; apparently we American first did something similar to the British capital in Canada. Anyway, sorry you took my comments as an insult; many USA hobbyists don't even know what a tank steamer is.

We all have our preferences, and that applies to DCC sound decoders. After having installed many ESU 5XL sound decoders into customer's LGB locomotives over the last three years, and many of the Massoth XLS sound decoders over the last five years, my preference is the ESU for sound quality and technical capabilities, e.g., the ESU has the RailCom+ feature, Massoth does not. On the Massoth Mogul, Uintah and Mikado sound files, there's some distortion in the chuff sounds at low operating speeds that Massoth has not fixed for the last three years after I reported it to them. On the ESU decoders you have many whistle and bell and other sound options you can change with the LokProgrammer on an installed sound file; Massoth you can not change them. Just some of the differences to be aware of.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Old problem when seeking advise on what to use from others - actually establishing your own needs. In the digital age it is so easy to create feature rich products that mostly are over spec'ed for most peoples' needs. Lot cheaper than a load of relays and such. A question - do you need to operate the loco in a DCC environment ? If all you need is a basic steam loco sound card then perhaps the MyLocoSound product will suffice. No messy cables and complex programming to do. It can be incorporated into a DCC installation Install with DCC Now all you have to do is recoup your investment in that very nice ESU V4XL card. I think you will find there is a ready secondary market for one of those - I might even be on the lookout. I use both MLS and ESU on my battery conversions - I like geared locos and the ESU library is pretty good in that area.

I have a local agent deliver my ESU V4's ready programmed so all I have to do is wield a soldering iron. I trust this offers some usable alternative. Max

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Max

I thought I made my needs clear - all I asked for was a suggestion as to a suitable ESU sound file for Thomas the Tank. I know several forum members have installed ESU decoders in their TTTs and I was hoping to learn from their experiences, nothing more. I did consider batteryfying Thomas but decided against it as I perceived it should be simply a case of uploading an appropriate sound file.

I realise now that my error, for which I apologise, was passing comment on the Loksound decoder and programmer. In future I’ll try harder to make my requests for help clearer and avoid unrelated asides.

Tom

Mea culpa. I disagree that tender and tank engines sound the same, but that’s just my view. I really do appreciate you taking the time to comment and share your experiences;

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Rough and ready video, as I can't stand anything remotely to do with TTT, so you'll excuse me whilst I erase the sound file and put the Melody unit back to normal!

View attachment 303625
Ahh. I’d actually forgotten that, in my view, appalling tune! It’s jogged memories of the, to my ears, horrific narration of the shows by the Beatles’ ex-drummer. I definitely WON’T be uploading that soundfile!

In fact, after some unstructured rummaging around the ESU site I found the sound files for a BR91 and BR98 are very much to my liking so I will give them a crack.

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
I have the Thomas set (less Emily) with sound chips. Thomas and Percy have Massoth generic sound boards which keep the kids happy. For James, Toby and Devious D I went down the ESU route and the sound is infinitely better.

I got these from Coastal DCC in Ipswich (which is relatively local) and Keith there has a host of his own sounds and was able to customise the chips using the sounds on which the original locos were based. Might be worth giving him a ring or an email. he is incredibly helpful and has meant my switching from Massoth to ESU for my new and DCC requirements. The prices are competitive too with an ESU XLS being only a few pounds more than Massoth.

They can be looked up on line. I came to know about them from the recommendations of my 00 gauge friends in the local MRC, they largely deal in smaller scales but Keith seems quite happy to help out in G.

AC