Suggestions please - Engineering wagon

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I`ve started adding clutter to a flat wagon (HLW mod) to become an engineering wagon and to act as match wagon for my mobile crane (another HLW mod). Does anyone have suggestions as to what other sorts of clutter I could add (eg sources of off the shelf clutter or scratchbuilt clutter)? I know others have posted photos of wagons they`ve clutterised  but I`ve tried a few searches on the forum and not managed to track any down. Here`s where I`ve go to so far:

1-IMG_6532.JPG
1-IMG_6520.JPG

Rik

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
A pick, shovel, another re-railing jack, they seem to usually be carried in pairs.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
A pick, shovel, another re-railing jack, they seem to usually be carried in pairs.
Thnaks Bob - good start. I think I can scratchbuild the pick and shovel and I so have another jack I could use.

Rik

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
It's unlikely that everything a crane like that is called on to lift would have lifting points built in. I therefore suggest a goodly assortment of rope, chain, shackles and wooden packing. The packing would be used to protect the items to be lifted against damage by the chain/rope. Timber or steel spreaders to get a better lift may also realistic.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Pinch bar or two, suggest a cocktail stick, with one end left as a point the other filed to a flat point...

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Possibly an couple of 'Toe' jacks as well. but don't want to make it too crowded as that wouldn't look right either.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
Possibly an couple of 'Toe' jacks as well. but don't want to make it too crowded as that wouldn't look right either.
'Toe' jack???

I like the idea of ropes, chains and timber baulks - thanks

I'm wondering if I should also include some tracklaying stuff - eg fishplates, box of bolts, a couple of sleepers and a chair or two??

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nodrog1826 said:
Pinch bar or two, suggest a cocktail stick, with one end left as a point the other filed to a flat point...
Great - I like simple but effective touches.

Rik

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
ge_rik said:
'Toe' jack???

I like the idea of ropes, chains and timber baulks - thanks

I'm wondering if I should also include some tracklaying stuff - eg fishplates, box of bolts, a couple of sleepers and a chair or two??

Rik

Also sometimes called a Duff Norton. Most railway ones are mechanical ratchet operated, with one of the pinch bars; but they can be hydraulic.

http://www.ropeandsling.co.uk/5t-ratchet-toe-jack.aspx

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann do (or did) a little bag of bits - box, fish plates, spanners, hammers, vice, oil can, etc.

Picture of it and some of contents;

Thro the years (23).JPG

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
If it is for track laying in would have two pairs of rail lifting tongs and two big spanners for the fish plates.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I see you already have the railway essential tools - a fishplate spanner and a big hammer

How about a blow torch or oxy acetylene cutting gear?

Or maybe a spare semaphore signal arm it depends on what activities are planned for the day.

It could be scrap recovery, re railing, signal repairs/replacement, rerailing train.

The list is endless, you could even get a box van or mess van to go with the crane

Dan

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
a98087 said:
I see you already have the railway essential tools - a fishplate spanner and a big hammer

How about a blow torch or oxy acetylene cutting gear?

Or maybe a spare semaphore signal arm it depends on what activities are planned for the day.

It could be scrap recovery, re railing, signal repairs/replacement, rerailing train.

The list is endless, you could even get a box van or mess van to go with the crane

Dan
Nice idea, I'm sure the crew would appreciate a mess van

Rik

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Steve at Back2Bay6 does a whole pack of plate laying tools Rik.

Quote from his website - "Set of whitemetal castings of useful platelayer''s tools. The set consists of a pair of rail lifting tongs, a ''Jim Crow'' (railbender), track cutting saw, ballast rake, shovel, track gauges (32 & 45mm), spike hammer, fishplate spanner, chisel bar and pinch bar."

http://www.back2bay6.net/90270/info.php?p=7&cat=438226

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
very nice work. How about a fuel can/jerry can.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
The inevitable well battered wooden tool box.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Steve at Back2Bay6 does a whole pack of plate laying tools Rik.

Quote from his website - "Set of whitemetal castings of useful platelayer''s tools. The set consists of a pair of rail lifting tongs, a ''Jim Crow'' (railbender), track cutting saw, ballast rake, shovel, track gauges (32 & 45mm), spike hammer, fishplate spanner, chisel bar and pinch bar."

http://www.back2bay6.net/90270/info.php?p=7&cat=438226
Useful - thanks Mel

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
very nice work. How about a fuel can/jerry can.
KeithT said:
The inevitable well battered wooden tool box.
Thanks chaps.
The toolbox is within my whittling capabilities but not sure about the jerry-can.

Rik

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
A variety of cutting tools, saws, grinder, Oxy-acetylene torch, black-smith type tools, some sort of pump :-\ the possibilities are almost endless :-\ perhaps a tool van as well as a mess van!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
ge_rik said:
Thanks chaps.
The toolbox is within my whittling capabilities but not sure about the jerry-can.

Rik

I'm sure I've seen a 'jerry can' somewhere, one of the suppliers.