Stringing!!!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone advise?

I've suddenly started having problems with stringing on my FDM printer. I've not used it since before Christmas and it has been cold out in the workshop, just in case that's a factor. When I started it up and printed, it was fine at first ....
IMG_3147.JPG

But then, I started getting stringing problems
DSCN3268.JPG

I have looked online and tried everything which was suggested:

• Reduced print temperature
  • Adjusted retract speed and distance
  • Replaced the nozzle

I've even changed to a brand new reel of filament (in a vacuum pack) in case the old reel had absorbed moisture but the problem has persisted (as you can see above).

I've even tried wiping the filament with olive oil as suggested in one YouTube video.

I'm rapidly reaching my wits end with it.

Any further suggestions?

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Are the second 2 a different kind of filament to the first? They're obviously different colours, but is the make up the same?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
Yes. It's the new filament. Exactly the same brand as the other filament (Eryone). The stringing is the same as with the old filament regardless of whether I use the default settings in Cura or the adjusted settings when I've changed the print speed, temperature, retraction settings, etc.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I just wonder if it is a combination of cold and the damp air we are having?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Knowing nothing about the subject, but it looks like the filament isn't melting enough, if that the right phase. No idea why or how or even how to fix it though

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,
You say you had not used the printer, since before Christmas?
Have you been working in the workshop, in that time?
How long are the prints taking, and do you leave it running overnight?
Is the printer enclosed, and the workshop being heated?

I have seen reports that filament is hydroscopic. We have had a run of very cold weather, with sub-zero temperatures overnight.
I wonder if all these elements have combined to give you your poor results, of late?

PhilP

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,

I have seen reports that filament is hydroscopic. We have had a run of very cold weather, with sub-zero temperatures overnight.
I wonder if all these elements have combined to give you your poor results, of late?

PhilP
Hi Phil
Yes. I've been in and out but probably more out than in over Christmas

These are fairly small prints so only take about 25min each. No, I never leave anything printing overnight. I like to check my longer prints at least every hour or so for safety reasons. Also, my burglar alarm in the workshop has a PIR and so would be triggered by the hot end moving about.

No. Not enclosed the printer but I might now consider it. I have a fan heater for when I'm working in there and try to keep it at around 18-20C. During the really frosty cold spell, I put a convector heater in there which kept it at around 5-7C overnight.

Yes, that was one of the things I considered. After some abortive attempts to adjust the settings, I took the old reel off and installed a brand new reel which had been vacuum packed with silica gel. I got exactly the same results as the old reel.

What really threw me was the the first few prints were almost perfect (see first photo). Then, suddenly. I got all that stringing with exactly the same settings. I did wonder if it was a cooling problem but the cooling fan is working well and there's nothing blocking the vent. I've even fitted a new silicon boot over the hot end.

I've now set the retraction distance from around 4mm to 7mm and there is an improvement. I just can't figure out why the stringing appeared so suddenly. I've sent off for some new PTFE tubing just in case that's a contributory factor.

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Moisture within the system somewhere? Long shot, obviously

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmm.... I'm not convinced. How come the brand new reel in a vacuum sealed pack behaved in exactly the same way as the reel which was on the printer?

Rik

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmm.... I'm not convinced. How come the brand new reel in a vacuum sealed pack behaved in exactly the same way as the reel which was on the printer?

Rik
Could it be damp (condensation) in the system, which was then passed into the new filament!

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Try putting the filament in a warm oven for 3 hours or so and see if the print improves. This will at least prove if moisture is an issue.

I have found exactly the same, with prints made over the winter months significantly stringier than those made in warmer weather.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Could it be damp (condensation) in the system, which was then passed into the new filament!
The only place moisture could accumulate is in the Bowden tube. It is a possibility. I've sent off for some new PTFE tube to replace it.
Try putting the filament in a warm oven for 3 hours or so and see if the print improves. This will at least prove if moisture is an issue.

I have found exactly the same, with prints made over the winter months significantly stringier than those made in warmer weather.
I've put the old reel in the airing cupboard. It's been in there about a week. I might try re-using it to test this out.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Wot, learn German ;)
Presumably, the Google algorithm noticed I'd recently been browsing and bought something from the Marklin website. No idea why it thinks I have a 'bauch' (and am female). I wonder if the word 'debauch' has Germanic origins?

Rik

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Try cleaning or replacing the nozzle..
Adds are targeted on age...given most of off are not in the 1st spring of youth...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The only place moisture could accumulate is in the Bowden tube. It is a possibility. I've sent off for some new PTFE tube to replace it.

I've put the old reel in the airing cupboard. It's been in there about a week. I might try re-using it to test this out.

Rik
But does SW put damp items in said airing cupboard?
:nerd:

PhilP

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I had a similar problem it was the sensor in the hot end that caused the temp to be a lot hotter than it should be, mine was it had come lose, held in place with a grub screw and had moved. you could try lowering the hotend temp more than you would usually print at to see if the stringing is a heat problem ? as could be the temp probe is faulty or lose so overheating

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Try cleaning or replacing the nozzle..
Yep, tried that. It made no difference
Adds are targeted on age...given most of off are not in the 1st spring of youth...
I also get ads for very flimsy lingerie. I can only assume they are the result of searching for and buying incontinence knickers for my mum ..... :eek::D

Rik