Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Stone Arch Bridge

Like it Ade - gives a new slant on joinery tools! I googled Celcon and came up with B&Q but their Irish web site takes you straight to the UK one. However, Quinn (who make cement, glass, insulation, roof tiles (i got some shipped when I took my roof off), have health insurance - took over from BUPA over here - and car insurance) also make their own blocks called Quinlite. So its just a matter of finding some!
Mick

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag

adeshers said:
I decided to add a parapet.
Looks great. It's not till you've added it that you realise that it was crying out for the addition to finish it off.

BTW, it seems that your thermalite blocks have great gouged straight lines 'diagonally' across them (no not your stone carving!). Is that how they are made?

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

trammayo said:
Like it Ade - gives a new slant on joinery tools! I googled Celcon and came up with B&Q but their Irish web site takes you straight to the UK one. However, Quinn (who make cement, glass, insulation, roof tiles (i got some shipped when I took my roof off), have health insurance - took over from BUPA over here - and car insurance) also make their own blocks called Quinlite. So its just a matter of finding some!
Mick

Keep trying Mick - they're a doddle to work with. The more I [strike]play[/strike] work with them the more I like them. They cut easier than wood and the best bit is that it's all so quick.

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

gregh said:
BTW, it seems that your thermalite blocks have great gouged straight lines 'diagonally' across them (no not your stone carving!). Is that how they are made?

The diagonal lines are indeed part of the manufacturing process. I think they give the finished face a certain texture which could be utilised if you were trying to create a Welsh / Slate feel. :thinking: possibly?
The carved stonework seems to take the eye away from them 'in the flesh' and I prefer to 'show' that face rather than the 'cut' face (if you know what I mean).

I forgot to mention that once I had chiselled out the sections on the parapet I used a 'mouse' type sander to roughly flatten the surface that became the new trackbed - it took about 5 minutes!):clap:

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag

WISH they had that product in the USA, but I have not heard or seen of it except from you folk over the pond east and west.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag