Stolen:-Roundhouse Millie. Roundhouse chassis kits.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Some of you may be aware of a walk in theft at the Showroom of Roundhouse Engineering last week. Items stolen were:-
Prototype Millie, fully lined out and named “Loxley”, it is also has many non standard fittings. There is no serial number on the locomotive.
Lady Anne chassis kit.
Two Fowler chassis kits.
I’ve had permission from the staff at Roundhouse Engineering to post this on our forum.
Be on the lookout please.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am almost lost for words on this, has to be someone that knows how to move these things on. So very sad that there are scumbags that do this sort thing in the hobby or at least close to the hobby.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's not really normal behaviour in our hobby. It may be someone on the fringe, who has been introduced to one person, or a group of people who have garden railways, and thinks that he can make a buck, with the purchasers being ignorant as to the source.

The hobby may still be small enough to eventually track the items - just gotta keep our wits about us, as things like the chassis kits would probably easily move on evilbay.

Hekate

Registered
21 Apr 2017
Normandy
Best answers
As with most stolen items, they would not be stolen in the first place if there was nobody to buy them. In a lot of ways, the buyers are worse than the thieves, shame on them. How could you run a stolen loco on your layout, always looking over your shoulder, unable to have friends round or have an open day. Rant over !

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As with most stolen items, they would not be stolen in the first place if there was nobody to buy them. In a lot of ways, the buyers are worse than the thieves, shame on them. How could you run a stolen loco on your layout, always looking over your shoulder, unable to have friends round or have an open day. Rant over !
Yes, I agree but it is possible that purchasers may not realise the origins, especially with the kits :wasntme::wasntme:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I agree but it is possible that purchasers may not realise the origins, especially with the kits :wasntme::wasntme:
That's very true. Most of us have second hand equipment, so in theory, anyone of us could have a stolen item, obviously bought in good faith from a dealer or from eBay.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thieves don't plan to steal based on who they know they can sell to. They aren't necessarily enthusiasts either.
They are just spontaneous opportunist sleazebags. If it looks expensive and if they think they can get away with it, they steal it.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I had a cousin who was a kleptomaniac but he used to take something for it.

David

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I had a cousin who was a kleptomaniac but he used to take something for it.

David
Shouldn't really laugh, but. .......... Where's the groan emoji?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Other than 'weight', when they 'dob' it in for scrap.. I doubt the will have any idea of value, monetary or sentimental? Of items like this..

They are out for a quick-buck, or the cost of their next 'fix', normally.. :(

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately there's theives everywhere, even among railway enthusiasts. Check out how many things go missing at shows

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Thieves don't plan to steal based on who they know they can sell to. They aren't necessarily enthusiasts either.
They are just spontaneous opportunist sleazebags. If it looks expensive and if they think they can get away with it, they steal it.
I can't quite agree with that, if you take a look at the art world or high-end jewels then they are often stolen to order, the wannabe owner desires the object and gets someone to 'obtain' it for them. In this case it was probably the Millie but the thieves thought 'while we're here'. Still utter :swear: though.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I can't quite agree with that, if you take a look at the art world or high-end jewels then they are often stolen to order, the wannabe owner desires the object and gets someone to 'obtain' it for them. In this case it was probably the Millie but the thieves thought 'while we're here'. Still utter :swear: though.

Yeah but this wasn't a targeted burglary for a high priced item. It was a walk in opportunist snatch as with the majority of thefts.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, but may I ask how you know? I don't mean to demean your knowledge of the robbery but something doesn't quite strike right (like Big Ben).?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, but may I ask how you know? I don't mean to demean your knowledge of the robbery but something doesn't quite strike right (like Big Ben).?

I just read the original post which said it was a "walk in theft". That's all.
Perhaps the Millie and kits were sitting somewhere on display and they were targeted but these kinds of thefts only happen because there is an opportunity to do so while staff are down the back.
Comparing what I called a theft of opportunity with targeted burglaries of high priced jewelry and art for an illegal clientele is about as similar as comparing Big Ben with a broken pocket watch. :)

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I just read the original post which said it was a "walk in theft". That's all.
Perhaps the Millie and kits were sitting somewhere on display and they were targeted but these kinds of thefts only happen because there is an opportunity to do so while staff are down the back.
Comparing what I called a theft of opportunity with targeted burglaries of high priced jewelry and art for an illegal clientele is about as similar as comparing Big Ben with a broken pocket watch. :)
A slight anomaly, I have four pocket watches (Grandfather, Father, Father In law and mine) of which two are extremely old and they work perfectly. Big Ben is down for repairs. So... ? :think:

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
A possible back story:

I'm reminded of a famous guitarist who longingly use to stare into the music store window, dreaming of the day he could own a Fender Stratacastor. So, isn't it possible that the culprit is an adolescent from an impoverished family who happens to love models but could never afford them?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A possible back story:

I'm reminded of a famous guitarist who longingly use to stare into the music store window, dreaming of the day he could own a Fender Stratacastor. So, isn't it possible that the culprit is an adolescent from an impoverished family who happens to love models but could never afford them?
Maybe, but that's no reason to steal! There's lots of things I'd like, but I don't steal them

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A slight anomaly, I have four pocket watches (Grandfather, Father, Father In law and mine) of which two are extremely old and they work perfectly. Big Ben is down for repairs. So... ? :think:

Your pocket watches will all drift out of time eventually but Big Ben still remains perfectly correct at least two times per day... :)

Last edited: