idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
This is a good series (last one tonight 9pm) following numerous preserved standard and narrow gauge lines: East Lancs, Great Central, Welsh Highland/Ffestiniog, Dart Valley, South Devon. Although it's focusing on 'personalities', there's still good explanations of firing, driving and maintaining steam locos. Tonight's is the last of 4 progs, but they're on catch-up, of course.
Steam Train Britain | Yesterday Channel
Apologies to non-UK readers if you can't access this link.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It is, indeed, a good series, Dave, and better than the "in-depth" type concentrating on just one railway. However, as is so often the case, employing better sound engineers and either having the background music in the background or, better still, not having it at all, would allow you to hear what people are saying as well as watching what they were doing.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Can't say I have noticed any obtrusive music. The content is as technical as any railway series I have seen on prime time TV. They were even explaining what an injector was, how bogies work, what track cant is, etc. Makes a very pleasant change from the normal focus on scenery (nice though that is) and sniping at "train spotters".

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Can't say I have noticed any obtrusive music. The content is as technical as any railway series I have seen on prime time TV. They were even explaining what an injector was, how bogies work, what track cant is, etc. Makes a very pleasant change from the normal focus on scenery (nice though that is) and sniping at "train spotters".

Quite agree on those other points, Dave, but the music at times, especially in cab scenes where the crew were talking, did distract/mask what was being said I found. My wife's lined me up for a hearing test tomorrow so that may explain it although, by and large, the only things I miss when she's talking is what she says to me when we are at opposite ends of the house with the radio on and our backs to each other.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Quite agree on those other points, Dave, but the music at times, especially in cab scenes where the crew were talking, did distract/mask what was being said I found. My wife's lined me up for a hearing test tomorrow so that may explain it although, by and large, the only things I miss when she's talking is what she says to me when we are at opposite ends of the house with the radio on and our backs to each other.
Man goes to the doctors to ask what he can do about his wife's failing hearing.

Doctor says to go home, stand at the kitchen door (when she has her back to him) and ask a question, then move a pace nearer and repeat etc, until she answers.

Man goes home, stands at the kitchen door and says, 'Hello darling, what's for supper?' - no answer, so steps forward and repeats, Hello darling, what;s for supper?' no answer, so he does the same again, ....... and again.

At which point the wife turns round and shouts, 'For the fourth time it's b****y chicken!!'

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
On a serious note (no pun) it is amazing how much better we can hear things, when you can see the person's face / lips.. :nerd:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
On a serious note (no pun) it is amazing how much better we can hear things, when you can see the person's face / lips.. :nerd:
Having been loosing my hearing for over 30 years now, and aids for over 5 years, most people don't realise how well they do body language and lip-reading.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...the only things I miss when she's talking is what she says to me when we are at opposite ends of the house with the radio on and our backs to each other.
Ah you suffer from that too. SWMBO also has a habit of talking to me from the other end of the house and then later when she asks me about it and I deny all knowledge she says I have selective hearing or I'm going deaf.
Only one of those is true... :)

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Quote from Edward Enfield (father of Harry Enfield)
"It seemed to me that my wife was also getting deaf, but her theory was that while I could not hear her because I am deaf, she could not hear me because I mumble. There appears to be no answer to this."

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's why we tend to have important discussions head to head. For me it's always been the case