stainz experts help tell me what i purchased

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
this is the link to my ebay purchase

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160438188107&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

its a bad pic-of a 2020 d-

supposedly 12 years old-but the cab is an embossed #1-have looked through my catalogs and havent seen a #1 since 1985 catalog!

not a bad price but i may have been overzealous -no boxes-and a few bits needed on the coaches

comments observations?

hope the lurch described is nothing more than being out of quarter-

i had hoped this is a d gear box and not a clamshell-but if its really old it may be

if its circa 1998 it should be a d box

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver said:
supposedly 12 years old-but the cab is an embossed #1-have looked through my catalogs and havent seen a #1 since 1985 catalog!

Sorry, it says it was given to him 12 years ago, must have been about 10 years old then. Most definitely a clamshell motor. It was probably a fair price as the beer wagon would cost about half of what you paid & the rest will yield plenty of spare parts. I'm not certain about the availability of "Handlebars", try the bike shop.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
what tells you that it  is a clamshell?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
nice buy Steve! The beer car is the best part!!
If you need a Blue train set to go with your growing collection give me a bell!!!!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
While it is probably a split (guessing that I am seeing the edge of the screws in the drivers) it does have newer skates?

The beer car is nice, and you can probably get one complete coach out of the two like I did with a set I bought off of CL one time (missing trim, broken steps, etc.).

Good luck!

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I'm betting it has the split case as well...on the UP side, I really think the older ones actually pull better

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver said:
what tells you that it is a clamshell?

The No1 cab was discontinued about 1984 which is pre the later gearbox.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
True, but if there was a repair made by LGBofA, an older cab, or newer box could be on it.

Interesting regardless!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
thanks all -ill let you know

dont know what came over me - ihave these things but for the flat and the
#1 -it just seemed a good buy at the time-that old ebay dementia you know

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver said:
dont know what came over me - ihave these things but for the flat and the
#1 -it just seemed a good buy at the time-that old ebay dementia you know

Unfortunately there is no known cure!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Ah, try being on heavy narcotics (post surgery, Doctor's orders mind you!) and being on eBay. Unfortunately, it was over and worn off when the boxes started arriving.

One way to "date" a 1980-> Stainz is to look at the writing on the ends/buffer beams.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
mike-you are of course correct-i finally took the time to look thru greenberg's guide-

neverthless -if in good condition these are great locos once ship shape -mine-a 1986, has really been an incredible engine -as have all of mine from this era-even the earlier ones 

somehow i had it in my mind that the #1 locos were re-released in commemorative sets like the one with the straight track sections on the flats, and another-

well say tuned-i hope this one is in good condition-it appeared to be from the pics-at least the delicate cab roof mounted whistle

okay-now i want a very, very late, modern version-with the allen valve work and printed #3 and -if i could-the good sound system-of even non-sound-
i really want to make an uber stainz with 5 volt lighting, top notch dietz or massoth analog sound and 5v smoke -and a repaint to a slightly darker green with pin stripes and copper boiler bands ala K-3

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well it arrived today
not a clamshell-!!!

color of plastic is intense and solid -so i think it may be rather late -maybe 1995 or so-metal rods  
very little wear on drivers or skates-so i imagine someone was having this engine pull stupid amounts to wear the gear as it was 

modern style smoking turban-
pressed on wheels (not screws)
clear rear lens 
only broken piece is cab grab iron-which i will try to find

a bit lurchy-tried to quarter and then i discovered 

a stripped gear on the rear axle
nice round groove in the center of the gear

-which i have temporarily swapped with one from a 2076

track and points are excellent-cars are ok -a bit rough but will be perfect for outdoors and combat duty-rigi is perfect-

may have a go at the stainz for nice analog sound and fancy lighting

so my 'bargain' is lost by the need for parts to make it right 

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag