Stainz conversion

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
I want to convert a 'bog-standard' No.2 (green) Stainz into a different numbered variant.
Can someone please give me some advice as to the easiest way to change the numbers and still have a 'professional' appearance ?
Is it easier to change the cab colour at the same time - and then apply new numbers on top ?
Any help/advice really appreciated ??

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Since nobody else answered, I'll toss out this idea. Look on feebay for a junker with a decent cab. They aren't particularly hard to change out.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Depends on if the number is moulded in to the cab or just printed on. either way if your going to paint the cab it won't make much difference you will have to cut off the moulded number and sand smooth then repaint.

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Thanks for messages guys ...
With regards to bashing/painting etc - I am a total novice :)
All I want to do is to change the number on the loco's - whilst still retaining a 'professional' appearance ??
Can this be done without re-painting - or is it easier to re-paint the cab front+sides ?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I print out made up plates onto Photo paper, these are then glued to the relevant Locomotive or Coach. This works quite well and you can return the item of stock to complete original condition.

The attached picture gives an example. The colour is not quite the black that I hoped it would be. that was because i was out of Black at the time and the Printer made up the black with varying colours.

Oh would not let me attach picture! Will try again on another reply.
JonD

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
If it's the simple printed number stamped onto the cab side then you should be able to get it off with T-Cut, without the need to repaint if you take care over it.

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
3Valve said:
If it's the simple printed number stamped onto the cab side then you should be able to get it off with T-Cut, without the need to repaint if you take care over it.

Thanks Gareth - not used T-Cut for a long time :)

Could do with an old cab to practice on, really ...
... Ah well if all goes wrong will just have to weather it, I suppose !

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
steinz said:
3Valve said:

Thanks Gareth - not used T-Cut for a long time :)

Could do with an old cab to practice on, really ...
... Ah well if all goes wrong will just have to weather it, I suppose !
there is a newer version of t cut, "safety T cut" its for metalic paint, its less abrasive than the originale..

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
mike said:
there is a newer version of t cut, "safety T cut" its for metalic paint, its less abrasive than the originale..

Thanks for that Mike ...

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That's interesting Mike I didn't know that - will have to give it a try