Stainless Steel Track Voltage Drop

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers
Hi,

I'm going to be laying two seperate semi circles of track under some decking. Although I can get access underneath to clean the track, for convieniance I'd rather not have to do this on a frequent basis. My plan therefore is to use stainless steel Aristocraft 6.5 ft diameter curves, reducing the need to clean the track at these parts of the layout. By my calculations a half circle will be just over 10ft in length. Can anyone tell me if I'll experiance any significant voltage drop over this distance that would cause a problem.

Thanks

Dieseldonkey

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dieseldonkey said:
Hi,

I'm going to be laying two seperate semi circles of track under some decking. Although I can get access underneath to clean the track, for convieniance I'd rather not have to do this on a frequent basis. My plan therefore is to use stainless steel Aristocraft 6.5 ft diameter curves, reducing the need to clean the track at these parts of the layout. By my calculations a half circle will be just over 10ft in length. Can anyone tell me if I'll experiance any significant voltage drop over this distance that would cause a problem.

Thanks

Dieseldonkey

I wouldn't have thought a short length like 10ft is going to show any significant voltage drop at all. I'd advise you use the best type of rail joiner clamps that you can get your hands on for a positive join - I have heard that the Aristo fishplate screws can tend to work loose over time? You don't want to be having to scrabble underneath or taking up decking planks to re-tighten screws!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
According to
http://physics.info/electric-resist...or the track in the first post in this topic.

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
ROSS said:
IS there a difference in voltage drop between stainless - brass and aluminium? Anybody know?
I have never seen it mentioned .

Don't know about volt-drop but Aluminium does have a surface layer of aluminium oxide, which acts as an insulator.

David

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
LTfan said:
ROSS said:
IS there a difference in voltage drop between stainless - brass and aluminium? Anybody know?
I have never seen it mentioned .

Don't know about volt-drop but Aluminium does have a surface layer of aluminium oxide, which acts as an insulator.

David
I keep hearing this but I had over 300 ft of aluminium rail in the garden for mainly live steam but when I did run track power occosionaly it never seemed to be a problem? quick clean just like bress then no problems at all for at least a couple of days............................................

TerrySoham

Registered
20 Jan 2010
Best answers
I believe that voltage drop will be negligible. Your problem will be to ensure that the track head remains clean enough to conduct electicity to your loco wheel and pickups

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
I have over 200 feet of stainless, no problem voltage wise.
It no doubt does lose a bit extra compared to brass but you won't notice it.