Spring is on the way - hopefully

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Today was another pleasant day - until late afternoon. The strong winds have gone, the sun was shining, so it was a good time for trains.
When giving the railhead its usual quick buffing I noticed seed pods and seedlings along the trackbed. I decided that it was nice enough a day to spend time removing the seedlings and small bits of plant debris whilst trains were running.
I guess it is a sign of Spring being not too far off (about six weeks) and hopefully the weather will remain reasonable and not so bitterly cold as it has been. The frogs are very active in the pond right now so maybe, as they have been on the planet a considerable period of time longer than humans, they know something. :D
I know some folks like the 'derelict and run down' railroad appearance but I prefer it otherwise believing that good track maintenance means (usually) trouble free operating. ;)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
"Spring is on the way, hopefully" Well!.................. Not soon enough for me:impatient:

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I dont feel like Spring will ever get here. I still have over 15 inches of snow in my yard with 4 foot drifts. Heres what my area looks like as of yesterday. Took the pictures while cross country skiing at High Point State Park. About 2 miles from my house.

20rlb0g.jpg

2ih319f.jpg

i5rsiq.jpg

ww18br.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I have crocus flowers pokeing their heads through. :clap:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Started to clear bits of the garden last weekend. Shoots popping up all over the place. Grass in the 4 foot.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Forcasts for the upper forties here on the weekend:clap::D:clap::D:clap::D

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Seen several butterfles coaxed out of hibernation - no doubt to perish as night falls.
Super-abundance of water at the start of the week, frost, ice, dangerous roads, 70mph winds. About normal really.

Feeding the goats last night I noticed columns of midges over pools of dirty water.

Even (relatively) warm too. Roll on Summer!

Mick

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Lots of snowdrops out and daffs showing buds. Crocus soon to flower and lots of midges .

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I'll bit Dragon and Shawn. What is a midge?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Midges are tiny, very irrating, fly-like insects that bite and feed on blood. They can cause serious reactions - we were camping on the Isle of Mull once and my wife got quite ill with facial swellings (luckily the camp site owner allways kept a stock of anti-histermine tablets). The scourge of damp climates. In Scotland they are aptly called the "wee beasties"!

Mick

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
Madman said:

Had to google that one. Never seen a Midge. We have nats around here that bite and sworm you by the hundreds in the Spring. We also have deer fly (shadow flies) They also sworm you and bite even harder. Cant get away from them either. Thats one thing I hate about warmer weather, annoying bugs.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Shawn said:
Madman said:

Had to google that one. Never seen a Midge. We have nats around here that bite and sworm you by the hundreds in the Spring. We also have deer fly (shadow flies) They also sworm you and bite even harder. Cant get away from them either. Thats one thing I hate about warmer weather, annoying bugs.

Once had to take Lady Dragon to the surgery as one of her eyes started to close after a bite on her cheek. They rarely affect me but my son has had several days off work several times with his arm so swollen he can't drive. Nasty little beggars!

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
About Thursday 10th February this week, reports were heard on local devon radio of several sightings of House Martins,
that is to say 2nd week in Feb. Normally they arrive early in March, 6 weeks early?
Assuming its true, as we have not seen any near us yet,
does that mean that they are here because where they have come from, the season is 6 weeks advanced?
does that mean we will have an early summer or a hot one?
or is the weather here & the weather there going to be totally opposites?
with some places suffering flooding, whilst others suffer droughts?
Time will tell!
But the bluebells are well up through the soil already here

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Love Bluebells Don - that's what I miss about Shipley Glen (huge swathes cascading down the wooded hillside) - we have a few growing at the edge of the stream but haven't noticed how far advanced they are.

Mick

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
nico said:
no sign of spring non stop rain here although tomorrow looks like it could be good :impatient:

Isn't that how you define the seasons in Ireland, Nico ?
If it's rainiing and cold, it's winter
If it's raining and only slightly chilly, it's spring
If it's raining and mild, it's summer
if it's raining and balmy, it's autumn

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Crocus are out, Sun induced them to open and Bumble bees are siffing em out.

Spring?......but I'm sure there will be more cold before March is out.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I heard a forecast this morning that said we would get another big dump out of Siberia, like the last one, that would last till the first week of March. Hope not. They do get it wrong sometimes(???????)

:happy::happy::happy:

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I hope the snow forecast mentioned doesn't happen: it seems to me that most people, although we only had a dusting here, are hoping that the severe weather has gone.
Harsh weather would not be good here: daffodils are now out and trees showing signs of budding. The frogs are even more active with clumps of spawn starting to appear in parts of their pond. There must be at least a couple of dozen in there and there is a frantic dive for cover when people or animals walk on the gravel driveway.