Spreewald sound

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I may be asked to fit a sound decoder into a Spreewald loco.

Any tips, especially regarding speaker size and location?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I may be asked to fit a sound decoder into a Spreewald loco.

Any tips, especially regarding speaker size and location?

When I did mine a few years ago I put the speaker in the cab roof. I did a post about the whole thing for GScaleMad - I've probably still got the photos somewhere. Also, I remember I had to ditch the boiler weight to make room for the decoder (it was only the 3rd loco I'd chipped so maybe these days is do it diffetently). To compensate I used some spare lead flashing offcuts from building work we were having done and created a kind of sleeve to fit inside the boiler; decoder plus wired went inside this sleeve and, as mentioned above, speaker went in cab roof.

Fitting the speaker meant removing an inner perspex "shell" that forms cab windows and cutting out a hole for speaker. Bit fiddly as I recall.

As far as the overall installatoon went, to quote Mike Duffy, "it may not be the right way but it's my way". Other folks will no doubt know a more appropriatevway of doing this.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi again.

Found the photos. Looks like I mostly remembered it ok except I got confused about the weight removal (sorry!) - this must have been on a different loco.
I'll upload later today with my notes - probably best if I put it in the "decoder fitting" section.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Me again. I created a PDF with photos and notes but it's too big to upload so not sure how best to proceed. If you PM me your email address I can send you a Dropbox link to the doc.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Me again. I created a PDF with photos and notes but it's too big to upload so not sure how best to proceed. If you PM me your email address I can send you a Dropbox link to the doc.

Thanks Phil, "conversation" started.
At present I'm thinking of trying to fit a Visation K50 speaker in the coal bunker. I'll most likely need to modify the rear light board and abandon the rear accessory wiring socket.