idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not a frequent rattle can sprayer, but on a recent trip to Halfords to buy some rattle can primer and cream coloured paint, I saw this for sale. (I imagine experienced rattle can users have already found something similar.)

20220512_130801.jpg

It just clips onto the top of the can, and pulling the trigger pushes down on the paint release button.

20220512_130840.jpg
It makes the spraying process much easier, You have better control over direction and spray intensity, it's easier to hold and to make the side to side movements to get an even coverage,. Highly recommended. It cost about £7 from Halfords but it is probably available on Amazon or eBay cheaper.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I bought one of these a few months ago from Halford's, Dave, but found I preferred just using the can - I seemed more in touch with the spraying process. Each to his own, however.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I had something similar some years ago. I found that the plastic construction flexed too much to provide good control. The only thing I do to improve performance is to warm the can up in hand hot water for a few minutes before use. It gives a more consistent and better atomised spray. Max

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I had something similar some years ago. I found that the plastic construction flexed too much to provide good control. The only thing I do to improve performance is to warm the can up in hand hot water for a few minutes before use. It gives a more consistent and better atomised spray. Max
Heating the item to be sprayed with a hair dryer also helps achieve a good paint finish.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Heating the item to be sprayed with a hair dryer also helps achieve a good paint finish.

I can vouch for that comment, cold spraying gives poor results.
I recall spending all day at a show putting together one of Sidelines Gm15 cab kits, then rushed home that evening to paint it, in my cold shed, hoping it would be dry agin next morning to put on the loco and show it off on day 2. That was a lesson learned, do it once, do it right.... took me weeks to clean it all up, then just minutes to do it right.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes spraying outside on a warm day is my preferred method. Though in winter I occasionally set up my workshop with newspaper and a spray box, bit of a pain but works ok. Must remember to put can on a rad for a few minutes before spraying.

I wonder how the last upside down 1-2 second spray with the device that Dave mentioned in post 1 works? I do this as a little of the propellant clears paint out of the nozzle meaning less blocked cans.