Spider control...not to kill but to keep out

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Now don't get me wrong, I like spiders and they do a great job keeping the pests down but...

There are certain places that I would like to keep them away from....my buildings (ones that have open doors etc) and rolling stock (they love the underneath areas) that are left out all year. It is infuriating that when cleaning away leaves and other light detritus, that it all gets a bit tangled up with spider silk and is more difficult to budge.
Is there a good deterrent for spiders (the chestnut tree conker doesn't work).

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
There are outdoor surface sprays that will deter spiders for around 3 - 6 months. Or you could get some pyrethrum daisies and plant were you don't want insects or buy concentrated pyrethrum liquid, mix it with water and then spray it around...

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
But be careful you don't mess up Charlotte's Web :D

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry but the spider goes where the spider goes, short of poison sprays I dont know of anything other than frequent cleaning to keep them away.

waEd5p9.gif

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Is not liking spiders called akne phobia in which case my teenage boy has some cream in the bathroom to get rid of that..... but if it's the web that's the problem ....... turn off your router..... but print this before you do otherwise you won't be able to read my advise . Sorry can't be more helpfully mike though wasn't Spiderman afraid of cryptonite or was that someone else in tights ........ oh yes that was batman....... you havnt a problem with bats then have you........

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Naaah, Tony, it's Anoraknophobia.... or is that fear of trainspotters...?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
That's it Jon my son in law drives a class66 and he gets an allergic reaction to them if they jump out from behind a bridge parapit
. i believe that's called anoraktic shock

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Now don't get me wrong, I like spiders and they do a great job keeping the pests down but...

There are certain places that I would like to keep them away from....my buildings (ones that have open doors etc) and rolling stock (they love the underneath areas) that are left out all year. It is infuriating that when cleaning away leaves and other light detritus, that it all gets a bit tangled up with spider silk and is more difficult to budge.
Is there a good deterrent for spiders (the chestnut tree conker doesn't work).

You could give these a try.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5410696_homemade-spider-repellent.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Spider-Repellent-at-Home

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
There is an electronic device that supposed to keep them away,,,

I get them in a shed and I looked in to it must send out ultra sound etc

would it work outside????

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There are sprays, that do work, and are often sold by boat chandlers :clap::clap:

When my eldest son had a chandlery, he gave one to my arachnaphobic daughter as a Christmas present for a joke - but she found it really effective :clap::clap::clap:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
get animal that eats spiders..

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
daveyb said:
There is an electronic device that supposed to keep them away,,,

I get them in a shed and I looked in to it must send out ultra sound etc

would it work outside????

One of the best of these is Pest Clear Electromagnetic made or distributed by Brighter Images (!) Ireland. It will only work indoors though.

Enginehouse

Amateur Radio, 16mm/G scale railways
24 Oct 2009
Peterborough
Best answers
We bred spiders for many years. Some can be extremely aggressive if disturbed. There is a silly idea that our native (to the UK) spiders are harmless. Not so! A spider bite can cause a form of fasciitis and thus result in permanent damage, scarring and in extreme cases surgical removal of tissue and possibly amputation.

Easy and cheap way to keep spiders at bay is an annual paraffin wash or light spray over critical areas. Outdoors of course it's quite difficult to treat areas that are regularly rain washed. As for electronic gizmos that are supposed to work (akin to faith healing) you either "see" a benefit or you don't. My tarantulas used to ignore them completely. In fact we had three different types of device running under test in a shed for months with spiderlings walking all over them with no effect whatsoever.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Don't worry the real railway also suffers a lot with spider and animal ingress.

I've had to remove all sort off animals, from railway signalling equipment over the years

Dan

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
spiderex.co.uk for Midas Spider EX spray.. Used for CCTV cameras etc to keep the footprints off!

Phil.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Enginehouse said:
As for electronic gizmos that are supposed to work (akin to faith healing) you either "see" a benefit or you don't. My tarantulas used to ignore them completely. In fact we had three different types of device running under test in a shed for months with spiderlings walking all over them with no effect whatsoever.

I understand what you say about some electronics gismos but the one I quoted has worked for us for several years. It sends varying high frequency pulses through the mains electric cabling. A spider might appear but always beats a retreat within hours.
The other types which claim to emit h/f sound are rubbish. I have tried cat scarers and found cats sitting in front of them and a fox scarer to protect the chickens but found fox droppings on the ark less than 3ft from the "scarer".

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks lads for the input.
As all the areas are outside and most are not in direct rain I will try the spray of citrus then if not successful I will try the spidrex stuff.
Not wanting to kill the little beasties and not being able to use the indoor electronic jobbies, it will be a deterrent that is the name of the game.
If their webs were not so sticky and gummed up the leaves, petals etc, I would not be bothered about them, but as I have a lot of detail on the layout I would like to be able to clean it a little quicker than it takes now with all them pesky spider constructed traps..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Are they the ones that bite you on the bum if you don't use a dunny stick?

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
No, I thought it was just an old wives' tale at first, but I can now state without fear of contradiction that a few freshly-gathered horse-chestnuts (conkers) in the corners of our rooms have kept the little dears at bay from last Autumn until about a month ago, by which time the nuts had dried up. No scary spiders, no unsightly webs hanging from the ceiling, lurking in dark corners, nowhere. I don't see why it wouldn't work outdoors although the effect may last for a shorter time. Lots of H/C trees round Derbyshire - just get there before the kids!

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
Are they the ones that bite you on the bum if you don't use a dunny stick?
The song Redback On The Toilet Seat springs to mind.