Speed limiting in analogue for a junior user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so one suggestion above is not going to work for all in one controller, the one you asked about actually... it needs to go between the raw power supply and a standalone speed control... not possible if all is in the same box (not easily).
Yes but would it work on the output line!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Only half the time! - The equipment is polarity dependent. :D
So it would only work for 'forwards', as the input would be polarity-reversed for going backwards..

We are back to a diode-dropper, a car sidelight bulb, or using a suitably rated 'OO' controller..

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
On the output it gives you a fixed voltage, so the throttle knob is useless for controlling the speed of the train.

There are other potential issues but it's really unworkable for an all in one "controller" which plugs into the mains, has a speed control, and the variable DC is output from it.

The electronic unit shown is a device to produce a fixed regulated DC output, nothing more.

Greg

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, thanks for the linki to your site. The voltage dropper looks like a good solution and my soldering skills should be up to it. However I can't match the pic with the diagram; what is the circular black component in the pic? Also what values do you recommend for the diodes?

Regards, Adrian

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The circular component is the full wave bridge, in which 4 diodes live in the configuration shown. Note the plus, minus and the ~ (which means AC input)

Match those with the schematic. It's a bit cheaper to use the single component as opposed to the 4 diodes in the bridge, but either way works fine. In the picture, only the + has a marking, the - is opposite... the 2 others at 90 degrees from plus are the ~, normally used for AC input, but we are using it differently.

Realize the string of diodes in a "row" is where you adjust the final top voltage.

I would pick 3 amp diodes, and put a fuse after it to the track... if no fuse, you could overload the diodes and short one out, depending on the short and the max current of your power supply.

dropper.jpg

diode_dropper.jpg

Basically if you trace the current flow, the FW bridge makes the circuit work in either polarity (forwards or backwards), and the string of diodes is the part you adjust (more or fewer diodes) to reduce the voltage... each diode is responsible for 0.7 volts drop. If you trace the circuit the current goes through 6 diodes, i.e. 6 time 0,7 = a voltage drop of 4.2 volts.

The circuit can go into either lead to the track, does not matter.

Greg

Last edited:

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that but I now have a further confusion. Where does AC come into it? I thought this circuit was to go into one of the DC track feeds from a playmobil or LGB all in one transformer/controller? Have I missed the point? Sorry if I’m being thick.

Regards, Adrian

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Skip my last question, I just reread your post and I’d missed the “normally used for AC” bit. Many thanks.

Regards, Adrian

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Adrian,
'AC' to 'DC' is what a bridge rectifier is 'normally' used for..

In this case, it just means the same circuit will work for both forwards and reverse.

PhilP.

<Edit>
And I have been away from the 'puter, so missed your reply above.. :)

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Helpful comment anyway, many thanks

RS Components here I come.

Regards, Adrian

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, good question. You cannot believe how many arguments I have gotten into with people about FW bridges, often insisting that you cannot put DC through an "AC input".... it's just diodes, one way valves... but I've got lots of stories there. ;)

Anyway, the "voltage dropper" even works on DCC... I run G scale DCC and Z scale DCC, and I have a G scale flat car that has a Z scale loco on it, all DCC, and the dropper circuit reduces the 24v "G scale DCC" to the 10-12v DCC used in Z scale...

flatcar_installed.jpg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If the engine is DCC then you can limit the top end for analog in some decoders. Zimo CV 57 is top motor speed, and CV5 is top speed for most digital engines.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think 10 diodes are cheaper than buying a DCC system ha ha!

I think the question of what the loco was settled in the first post, he indicates he is starting with a Playmobile engine...

Greg

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Diodes are on the way. Thanks to all for the advice will try to remember to feed back on the results.

Regards, Adrian

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
once you make the bridge, be sure to experiment with the number of diodes in the "long chain" with temporary connections until you get what you want... the bridge part and the "first" diode at each end of the "chain" can be soldered permanently the first time.

Greg

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, That’s what I was planning to do. I just discovered the Wago connectors which should make it easier to do.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the connectors might cost more than the diodes! Also the diodes have no insulation on them, so you will still have bare wires.

I suggest soldering up the basic parts and then just twisting wires together for testing...

If you want to use the Wago's and the cost is ok, then get some heat shrink tubing to insulate all but the ends of the diode wires.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I know this is on the output of a controller...

But I would still advocate, fitting a fuse, as the first thing 'seen' after the controller..

PhilP.