spectrum versus track

graybold

Registered
6 Aug 2010
Best answers
hi -everyone -just got into g scale -have purchased a g scale bachmann spectrum 2-8-0 consolidation loco item no 81295 -does anyone know -will this run ok onpeco sl800 track or is it best to go for sl900 -I think the sl800 looks much better but is the rail profile ok for this loco -I want to run it around a 6 foot diam curve -best regards -graybold

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The short answer is 'don't know'. There are not a lot of G scalers who use Peco track because it is not as robust as the LGB/Aristo/Piko/Accucraft 332 profile when used out of doors. If needs must, this heavier, if slightly out of scale profile can actually be stood on without undue detriment.

Having said that, the wheel profile of Bachmann's Connie is reasonably fine, and should put up with most scale track profiles.

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
Welcome to a great scale to model in.
If you mean 6ft diameter or 3ft radius then the Connie will struggle.Mine runs well through LGB radius 3 switches which I think are more like 4/5ft radius.
Go for the largest radius curves that you are able to fit in as although some locos will straverse small radii the front overhang can look very offish and you may destroy some lineside fixtures into the bargain.
Good luck.
Regards
David

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
... There are not a lot of G scalers who use Peco track because it is not as robust...
I disagree, there are plenty of Peco users, including those who mix it with other makes.

As far as SL800 or SL900, it depends on whether you're looking for the standard gauge (SL800) look or narrow gauge (SL900). Your loco shouldn't have any problems on SL900, I think MR SPOCK is your SL800 man.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
SL 900 is G scale code 250 track and SL 800 is G1 code 200.

The lower height of SL 800 rail may cause your Connie flanges to hit the chairs of the track.

Some folks cut the nut moulding off the top of the chairs and this solves that particular issue....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
graybold said:
hi -everyone -just got into g scale -have purchased a g scale bachmann spectrum 2-8-0 consolidation loco item no 81295 -does anyone know -will this run ok onpeco sl800 track or is it best to go for sl900 -I think the sl800 looks much better but is the rail profile ok for this loco -I want to run it around a 6 foot diam curve -best regards -graybold

have a look at this thread which goes into the subject a bit more (that is if you have not already!)

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=79462&high= < Link To http://www.gscalecentral...?m=79462&high=

JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Wobbleboxer said:
Rhinochugger said:
... There are not a lot of G scalers who use Peco track because it is not as robust...
I disagree, there are plenty of Peco users, including those who mix it with other makes.

OK, I stand corrected in the dunce's corer with me hat on. Probably should have said that less people use Peco than use the 332 gauge rail. Again, nothing against anything that takes your fancy, but the other thread covers most of the ground.

From casual observance of my Connie's wheel profile, including the tender, I would have thought it could cope with the lower rail profile without difficulty.

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
Most newcomers to the hobby don´t buy 332 brass track anymore, but lower profiles with a suitable trackbed for their choosen prototypes.

A Bachmann spektrum loco, American 3 foot prototype, simply looks silly on oveseized LGB track with Swiss sleeper design. I ´d suggest Llagas Creek 250 track for those models. They even offer easy to assemble turnout kits. Peco is fine too, if you tend to run Welsh NG.

Brass is not the best choice of material if you run on track power. Peco Nickel Silver or stainless steel is much easier to maintain.

Have Fun

Juergen

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Funny enough, my local model shop just sold a connie only yesterday!

I'm sure though, that they would have advised on a suitable track to run it on....

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
Many dealers do not know very much about track. They sell, what they happen to have in stock.

Which of the ties are suiatable for a 1 : 20,3 Bachmann Connie?

7799Schwellen.jpg

Track is Code 250 miha-modell stainless steel, 45mm gauge. Plastic Sleepers are from different makers such as Heyn, Miha Model, Llagas Creek.

Have Fun

Juergen