Speaker wattage, is there too much wattage for a given decoder type?

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I am in the throes of finishing off some decoder installs and have purchased some 64mm, 8 ohm, 8 watt enclosed case speakers. Some of my installs will involve the LGB digital sound board, #6500X series (probably around 1 watt output) and others, the Massoth 'S' decoder (3 watt output). Is 8 watt too high a wattage for these units, or is higher wattage, unlike ohms, simply a 'pad' to allow for transient high outputs of the amplifier?

Also, the small electrical connector fitted to Massoth speaker leads to suit their sound decoders, available as an aftermarket item?

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
When I used to fit car audio systems the idea was to fit speakers with an handling twice the output of the amplifier. You won't do any harm to anything, although the sound being produced may be a little quieter. Wire it up temporarily and test it to see what the output is like.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
It will be fine. In fact having proper speakers will make it sound better.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Often better quality speakers can handle more power than lesser quality examples without risk of damage to themselves so have a higher power rating.
Provided they are of the impedance (ohms) recommended by the sound system the sound unit will also come to no harm.
One consideration I take into account is the speaker efficiency, often quoted in dB per watt at one meter distance. The higher the efficiency the louder the sound for the same power input. However the sound quality and volume is often very dependant on the enclosure surrounding the speaker

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
To answer the second bit of your question, Tim, yes the Massoth speaker leads with microplugs attached ARE available - but they're not cheap; Massoth do a pack of assorted leads and plugs, you get two or three each of 2, 3 and 4 pin versions, they're something around £17 for the pack over here!
I don't know if there is anywhere else that you could get a number of just the 2-pin ones.

Jon.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Thankyou all for information. I have found that the Massoth 57mm 3 watt high profile speaker sounds superb with the LGB digital sound board (more definition that the stock 2 watt speaker). Will await receipt of speakers and report further.