Sparking Skates

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I was running a night train this evening (got a little red LED tail light so cool) and i noticed that when the alco was climbing my incline with a big load it was sparking regularly from the skates- haven't seen it before but was very clear in the dark.

It looked like a tube train! I am thinking this is no big deal, but thought I'd check with you chaps i am not overdoing it!

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
No problem.
Anywhere you have a sliding electric contact you will get sparking.
This can be caused by various things....dirt, uneven contact etc.

Check that the skates are nice and free and have reasonable down force.
Keep them clean, any track will have some dirt and after running a bit give the skates a wipe.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i might suggest, to avoid pitting whcih can be a problem, cleaning the track as well as the wheels and skates

as one usually in the dark (yes i do watch my trains in the dark too)

i dont often see sparking-
and contrary to the above, with slider contacts such as skates, you shouldnt, as they are in constant firm contact and arcing (sparking) should not occur-

pitting of wheels and skates creates pockets for dirt and corrosion and cant be polished out-prevent it 

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
I was running a night train this evening (got a little red LED tail light so cool) and i noticed that when the alco was climbing my incline with a big load it was sparking regularly from the skates- haven't seen it before but was very clear in the dark.

It looked like a tube train! I am thinking this is no big deal, but thought I'd check with you chaps i am not overdoing it!

Does the loco have 'Curly Skates' or the earlier non curly ones!! The curly skates were introduced many years ago by LGB as an aid to better pickup and cleaner skates ( apparently, but I never understood how this worked) , I do remember that some of my early LGB locos a Stainz and a Schoema diesel had the earlier skates and they did spark more than the later locos with the 'curly skates',