Southern railway paint

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Looking around I can find the prescion paint codes for the big four colour schemes.

These aren't the easiest of paints to get hold of, so does any know the equivalents in humbrol, tamiya, vallejo, citadel etc.

Or what are folks using.

In particular the chrome green and the stone no1A for southern railway buildings. Also the gwr cream and brown (may change back to western region but fancy a change)

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Hadn't seen that when searching, thanks, they have a comprhensive List. They're the paints but I think they're enamels.

Just wondering if there alternatives being used by other manufacturers especially acrylics?

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick thought. GWR buildings were light and dark stone, not brown and cream. I'm not being rivet counting! They really are very different colours. They became brown and cream post war I think. The GW were moving towards brown and cream before nationalisation.

I get mine from GRS - Phoenix I think, and precision are good too

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Cyclone said:
Hadn't seen that when searching, thanks, they have a comprhensive List. They're the paints but I think they're enamels.

Just wondering if there alternatives being used by other manufacturers especially acrylics?

Is there a reason you would prefere acrylics to emamels ?
Max

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Brown and cream is me showing my ignorance.

My school uniform was brown and cream as the head master was a massive gwr fan.
He used to b****** us for having the wrong colour. Would love to have told him my illegal shirt was actually light stone...anyway.

I much prefer acrylics as they're water based, easy to clean, don't smell and can be thinned with water.

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Railmatch do a range of acrylics, but dont use the same names, they have a dark and light olive along with Malachite green.

Any pointers?