Sources of lead

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
About ten years ago, when I was buying some Aristocraft bits and bobs from a retailer who is no longer with us, he said that he had boxes of Aristocraft weights for use in their diesels.
Although I did not have need of them at that moment, I thought that they might be useful for projects etc.
So I bought them for a song as he just wanted to get rid of them.
So... I still have two or three boxes of them. Not sure if they are lead or zinc..they do mark easily so probably lead.
I have used a couple of them (they were originally for the Dash 9, SD45, E8 and, I think, GP40).

If anyone would like one and they are willing to pay the postage they are going for cost.. about £5 each

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
About ten years ago, when I was buying some Aristocraft bits and bobs from a retailer who is no longer with us, he said that he had boxes of Aristocraft weights for use in their diesels.
Although I did not have need of them at that moment, I thought that they might be useful for projects etc.
So I bought them for a song as he just wanted to get rid of them.
So... I still have one or two boxes of them. Not sure if they are lead or zinc..they do mark easily so probably lead.
I have used a couple of them (they were originally for the Dash 9, SD45, E8 and, I think, GP40), but the rest are available.

If anyone would like one and they are willing to pay the postage they are going for cost.. about £5 each

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Then we get saving overgrown trees that are a danger to the community because the tree officer has slapped a TPO on them. Carbon neutral, doubt if I will be around to see it but I can predict that Politicians and Councillors of all colours will start running round like headless chickens a year or so before their self created deadline.
Ah, but the council CAN over rule their TPO if a tree is in the way of a road scheme.

This is what they wanted to do to my neighbours', but for an outcry from the local residents association.

The tree survives, although it has been heavily pollarded....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Even asbestos is harmless until it is disturbed.
The problem with asbestos is that it isnt easily recognised, it comes in many shapes and forms, and once painted can look like plaster. Quite often its only found when someone has drilled into it or tried to remove it.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, but the council CAN over rule their TPO if a tree is in the way of a road scheme.

This is what they wanted to do to my neighbours', but for an outcry from the local residents association.

The tree survives, although it has been heavily pollarded....
That is the point they can override whatever they decide, but sadly residents have to just accept what they say and do.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The problem with asbestos is that it isnt easily recognised, it comes in many shapes and forms, and once painted can look like plaster. Quite often its only found when someone has drilled into it or tried to remove it.

Absolutely. And may I add that if a layman is doing the drilling or demolition they most often do not know what the material is they are tearing apart. On the contrary, folks in the construction business would very quickly question the material and ask for it to be tested.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
My half pennies worth.
I use old pewter-ware sourced from car boots etc for a few pence. It melts easily and casts well. Plus it does not suffer from that powdery white oxidisation when used in damp conditions. Weighs almost as much as pure lead. Works well for loco and fishing weights alike.
Paul.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
My half pennies worth.
I use old pewter-ware sourced from car boots etc for a few pence. It melts easily and casts well. Plus it does not suffer from that powdery white oxidisation when used in damp conditions. Weighs almost as much as pure lead. Works well for loco and fishing weights alike.
Paul.
I've got about a couple of dozen tankards in the loft, I wonder if they will do?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I spray my lead weights with an anticorrosion compound (usually lanolin based, non toxic) to keep the white stuff off.

Luckily in most of our locos, we have plenty of space, so the weight per volume "loss" of using pewter or other lighter metals is not a big deal.

But in small locos, lead makes a difference, like I mentioned, when Aristo switched to a zinc based alloy, the weight per volume went down by half.

Here are two "rock cod sinkers" of 2 pounds each on a Lionel Atlantic (if you go to a store with fishing supplies in the USA, "rock cod sinkers" have this nice compact shape, available in several weights up to 5 pounds)

atlantic_weights.JPG

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Paul M,
Ex tankards:
The older the pewter the higher the lead content. Modern pewter for food or drink use contains no lead and tarnishes much slower.
These dumb buffers weigh in at 35g each
Regards,
Paul
1605286970959.png

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Paul M,
Ex tankards:
The older the pewter the higher the lead content. Modern pewter for food or drink use contains no lead and tarnishes much slower.
These dumb buffers weigh in at 35g each
Regards,
Paul
View attachment 276156
Just need to think about melting down some of my hard earned trophies.

OLD FELLA

Registered
15 Aug 2020
SUFFOLK
Best answers
Country flag
I just thought I'd pop this little tip in here - Yesterday I bumped into the local roofing contractor in the supermarket. During a little chat I mentioned I'd just bought some lead flashing for ballasting locos, coaches and an upcoming Clyde Puffer build. He said I should have come to him as he has loads of scrap lead from roofing jobs that he stockpiles till he has enough to make it worth his while to go down to the scrap metal dealer to cash in,

Tip - If you need lead for ballasting stock go check out you local roofing contractor. Mine informed me the current scrap lead price is £1 per kilo. Max

P.S. Do not attempt to satisfy your lead requirements with an illicit trip to the local church's roof. God will send vengeance from the heavens for such acts and rain out your operating sessions for all eternity. He moves in mysterious ways. You have been warned.
Being busily engaged in converting my LGB locos to Battery Powered R/C, I have a growing stack of LGB finest Lead Ballast Blocks. I loco alone yeilded over 1.1/4 . I have also acquired some ex-roofing lead from my local builders.
Old Fella

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
And of course the lead body filler used at the factory in the 50's automobiles. I watched the artists with the wooden paddles and the pots of lead hide miserable seams in car bodies. Lets go melt down some classic cars for the lead.
---Hutch

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user