Sources of lead

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I just thought I'd pop this little tip in here - Yesterday I bumped into the local roofing contractor in the supermarket. During a little chat I mentioned I'd just bought some lead flashing for ballasting locos, coaches and an upcoming Clyde Puffer build. He said I should have come to him as he has loads of scrap lead from roofing jobs that he stockpiles till he has enough to make it worth his while to go down to the scrap metal dealer to cash in,

Tip - If you need lead for ballasting stock go check out you local roofing contractor. Mine informed me the current scrap lead price is £1 per kilo. Max

P.S. Do not attempt to satisfy your lead requirements with an illicit trip to the local church's roof. God will send vengeance from the heavens for such acts and rain out your operating sessions for all eternity. He moves in mysterious ways. You have been warned.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
He also has marked a lot of his lead with the post code of the church that you've nicked it from.

He knows where you live :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
He also has marked a lot of his lead with the post code of the church that you've nicked it from.

He knows where you live :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I thought that it was painted with luminous smart holy water these days

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Here in the US, lead is pretty much outlawed for everything.

Living in California, we have health restrictions sooner than most other states (which leads to ridicule from other states, where more people die from lead poisoning - go figure)

So we clearly saw the progression in Aristo locos, The example of the SD45 (or it might have been the Dash 9)

3 free lead weights installed as shipped (2 pounds each)
3 free lead weights supplied, not all installed (loose one smashes car body in shipment)
1 free lead weight supplied with certificate for free weights on request
1 free lead weight supplied with certificate for "free" weights at a nominal charge (hah!)
change to zinc weights and these are only 1 pound each for same size
change to steel plates inside the loco (this became standard type of weight)

Was pretty interesting to watch, and I started hoarding all the lead Aristo weights I could get, when that gave out, I went to the local fishing supply store and got "rock cod sinkers", they were pretty much square.

I have not hoarded enough lead to last me to the grave, it's almost impossible to get lead now. If I was in a smaller scale, tungsten weights would be de rigur, but way too expensive in G

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I just thought I'd pop this little tip in here - Yesterday I bumped into the local roofing contractor in the supermarket. During a little chat I mentioned I'd just bought some lead flashing for ballasting locos, coaches and an upcoming Clyde Puffer build. He said I should have come to him as he has loads of scrap lead from roofing jobs that he stockpiles till he has enough to make it worth his while to go down to the scrap metal dealer to cash in,

Tip - If you need lead for ballasting stock go check out you local roofing contractor. Mine informed me the current scrap lead price is £1 per kilo. Max

P.S. Do not attempt to satisfy your lead requirements with an illicit trip to the local church's roof. God will send vengeance from the heavens for such acts and rain out your operating sessions for all eternity. He moves in mysterious ways. You have been warned.
Max, I was after some lead, and one of my attempts was via local roofing contractors, assuming off cuts, funny thing, nobody actually had any, ended up buy from the auction site "diving weights".

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag

Living in California, we have health restrictions sooner than most other states (which leads to ridicule from other states, where more people die from lead poisoning - go figure)

So we clearly saw the progression in Aristo locos, The example of the SD45 (or it might have been the Dash 9)

3 free lead weights supplied, not all installed (loose one smashes car body in shipment)
1 free lead weight supplied with certificate for "free" weights at a nominal charge (hah!)

Was pretty interesting to watch, and I started hoarding all the lead Aristo weights I could get, when that gave out, I went to the local fishing supply store and got "rock cod sinkers", they were pretty much square.

I have not hoarded enough lead to last me to the grave, it's almost impossible to get lead now. If I was in a smaller scale, tungsten weights would be de rigur, but way too expensive in G

Greg
The older computers used lead solder which made the connections last longer. I have a computer more than 30 years old which still works. But since they started using lead-free solder my computers seem to rarely last more than 5 or 6 years. Then there is the shortage of ammunition, another source of lead. It just occurred to me that it would be easier to make your own ammunition if you had a bunch of extra lead train weights. So the lack of lead train weight availability could infringe on how convenient it is to make your own ammunition. So maybe we should argue that lead train weights should be a constitutional right per the 2nd amendment. ...

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The use of lead free solder is not affecting circuit reliability, manufacturers are getting to be experts at making hardware that just lasts through the warranty period.

Ammunition is an issue surely, I'm melting down my trains as we speak!

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Guinness puts lead in you pencil, does that help?

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Last time I needed some lead, I just went to the local scrap man, weighed in an old car battery and asked to be paid in lead.

I walked away with several Kilos.

You can extract lead from old batteries, but for the time, effort,cost and dangerous chemicals involved, it’s really not worth the effort and potential danger.

Dan

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I thought that it was painted with luminous smart holy water these days
Yes, and that is unique to every application, and will give you the postcode of the church where it was nicked from - it's called Smartwater and local authorities also use it; anyone can buy it .....................

....... but only God knows where you live :D:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Greg
Over here lead is still available, principally for the construction industry - we still use lead flashings in abundance, although sheet lead roofing is probably only to be found on historic buildings.

As an explanation, the reason why so many churches still have lead roofs is that, in the UK, we have a system (actually a very unfair one) whereby historic buildings can be 'listed' according to their degree of historical interest What are Listed Buildings? How England's historic buildings are protected | Historic England

The reason that it is unfair is that an organisation without responsibility decides to list you building, and you are then restricted as to a: what you can do to it and b: the materials that you use to maintain it. In other words, it's going to cost you a fortune but they aren't paying.

As many churches date back to the 13th or 14th ceturies, a huge number are listed in Grades I, II or II*. Our little village church is Grade 1 so, for example, we can't even put solar panels on the roof, despite the fact that we are meant to be going carbon neutral in 20-something.

On the subject of listed buildings and getting your own back, there was, for many years, and old three-story structure near the Thames in Hampton that was supported by a flying shore that involved narrowing the main road. The reason was that the local authority had arranged for the building to be listed because of its alleged historical importance, and the owner could not afford to have it repaired in accordance with the heritage requirements.

The reason why the flying shore stayed in pace so long was that the owner left the building to the local authority in his will - and they couldn't afford to repair it either :devil::devil:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Over here lead is still available, principally for the construction industry - we still use lead flashings in abundance, although sheet lead roofing is probably only to be found on historic buildings.

As an explanation, the reason why so many churches still have lead roofs is that, in the UK, we have a system (actually a very unfair one) whereby historic buildings can be 'listed' according to their degree of historical interest What are Listed Buildings? How England's historic buildings are protected | Historic England

The reason that it is unfair is that an organisation without responsibility decides to list you building, and you are then restricted as to a: what you can do to it and b: the materials that you use to maintain it. In other words, it's going to cost you a fortune but they aren't paying.

As many churches date back to the 13th or 14th ceturies, a huge number are listed in Grades I, II or II*. Our little village church is Grade 1 so, for example, we can't even put solar panels on the roof, despite the fact that we are meant to be going carbon neutral in 20-something.

On the subject of listed buildings and getting your own back, there was, for many years, and old three-story structure near the Thames in Hampton that was supported by a flying shore that involved narrowing the main road. The reason was that the local authority had arranged for the building to be listed because of its alleged historical importance, and the owner could not afford to have it repaired in accordance with the heritage requirements.

The reason why the flying shore stayed in pace so long was that the owner left the building to the local authority in his will - and they couldn't afford to repair it either :devil::devil:
Of course if you plan a high speed railway or motorway through the ancient buildings, the above doesn't apply

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Then we get to conservation area’s that have almost the same restrictions as a listed buildings. No Solar Panels on the roof facing the street, must use real slate on the roof, must use old recycled or equivalent coloured bricks oh and saving overgrown trees that are a danger to the community because the tree officer has slapped a TPO on them. Carbon neutral, doubt if I will be around to see it but I can predict that Politicians and Councillors of all colours will start running round like headless chickens a year or so before their self created deadline.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I had the flashing replaced on my chimney a few years back I kept the lead. It has already come in useful and I have some left.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, seems to be a bit of antipathy to listed buildings here or at least some well worn old wives tales being aired. May I declare an interest - In the past 35 years my present and previous dwelling are/were Grade II listed buildings. I bought them in full knowledge of their listed status and the restrictions that may apply. The first I had no problem gaining planning permission for a loft conversion with a full width dormer being constructed. If I include all the other dwellings I have lived in since birth 65 years ago I reckon all but 8 years of my life have been spent under a roof listed in some way or another.

I find my self aghast at some of the cynical ploys used by would be developers to circumvent an already enforced listed or a well flagged planned listed status. E.G. Allowing a property to fall into a badly decayed and economically impractical state to restore to aid in a more profitable total redevelopment plan of a site rather than a sympathetic and viable re-purposing. Or even more heinously, obliterating a property 24 hours before a known planned listing becomes enforceable - The fate of the Firestone building on the Great West Rd (A4) immediately comes to my mind 1928: Firestone Factory, Brentford – The Twentieth Century Society . Still rankles me 40 years later. Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My 1955 incoming water supply is lead.. - Presumably, from the cast iron main in the street? :wondering:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, seems to be a bit of antipathy to listed buildings here or at least some well worn old wives tales being aired. May I declare an interest - In the past 35 years my present and previous dwelling are/were Grade II listed buildings. I bought them in full knowledge of their listed status and the restrictions that may apply. The first I had no problem gaining planning permission for a loft conversion with a full width dormer being constructed. If I include all the other dwellings I have lived in since birth 65 years ago I reckon all but 8 years of my life have been spent under a roof listed in some way or another.

I find my self aghast at some of the cynical ploys used by would be developers to circumvent an already enforced listed or a well flagged planned listed status. E.G. Allowing a property to fall into a badly decayed and economically impractical state to restore to aid in a more profitable total redevelopment plan of a site rather than a sympathetic and viable re-purposing. Or even more heinously, obliterating a property 24 hours before a known planned listing becomes enforceable - The fate of the Firestone building on the Great West Rd (A4) immediately comes to my mind 1928: Firestone Factory, Brentford – The Twentieth Century Society . Still rankles me 40 years later. Max
Yes, Max, I agree - and at one time Battersea Power Station was the only piece of real estate in London with a negative value.

But, when it comes to our local village churches, it's an unaffordable millstone around our necks - for example you cannot replace lead with cheaper, less nickable metal roofing - where's the sense in that? That, actually is why so many churches have the lead nicked, because once they do some maintenance work on the lead roof, the thieves come and blag the new lead as in Snettisham village a few miles from here.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
How many lead pots was I around on the job site as plumbers heated it to fill the joints of cast iron pipe ? More than there are days in a year or three. I still have three blocks of lead used for that purpose, about fifteen pounds worth.

As with most outlawed materials like lead, used in the correct manner are relatively safe. Even asbestos is harmless until it is disturbed. That said, I am not condoning the continued use of such materials, as long as there are safe replacements for them.