Soundtraxx Tsunami2 decoder motor overload error message

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
Hello! I have a Tsunami2 4400 diesel decoder, which I placed into an Aristocraft G Scale FA-1 locomotive. I also have an NCE Power Pro 10 Amp wireless system and Brutus 18V power supply that I am using to apply power to the track.

The loco with decoder with run on DC track power via an old Aristocraft ART-5400 power supply and ART 5401 controller, (blue light comes on on the decoder), but when I switch to DCC and try to control the loco with the Power Pro handheld cab via the Brutus power supply, although the decoder's blue light comes on, when I attempt to accelerate the loco, the red light flashes 12 times, indicating a motor overload.

Not sure why this is happening. I can hear the motor trying to turn the wheels, but the red light overrides any movement of the loco. I would certainly like to keep using the decoder if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Lou Dalessandro

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello! I have a Tsunami2 4400 diesel decoder, which I placed into an Aristocraft G Scale FA-1 locomotive. I also have an NCE Power Pro 10 Amp wireless system and Brutus 18V power supply that I am using to apply power to the track.

The loco with decoder with run on DC track power via an old Aristocraft ART-5400 power supply and ART 5401 controller, (blue light comes on on the decoder), but when I switch to DCC and try to control the loco with the Power Pro handheld cab via the Brutus power supply, although the decoder's blue light comes on, when I attempt to accelerate the loco, the red light flashes 12 times, indicating a motor overload.

Not sure why this is happening. I can hear the motor trying to turn the wheels, but the red light overrides any movement of the loco. I would certainly like to keep using the decoder if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Lou Dalessandro
Lou - I've installed lots of Soundtraxx Tsunmai2 4400 and 2200 dcc sound decoders into LGB locomotives but I don't do Aristocraft conversions. Interesting you can operate in DC power but not DCC. I'd suggest you contact the Soundtraxx Tech guy, George Bogatiuk, who's very knowledgeable about their product line, but he'll ask you what's the stall current on your motor since that's how they rate their decoders. His email: georgeb@soundtraxx.com

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
Lou - I've installed lots of Soundtraxx Tsunmai2 4400 and 2200 dcc sound decoders into LGB locomotives but I don't do Aristocraft conversions. Interesting you can operate in DC power but not DCC. I'd suggest you contact the Soundtraxx Tech guy, George Bogatiuk, who's very knowledgeable about their product line, but he'll ask you what's the stall current on your motor since that's how they rate their decoders. His email: georgeb@soundtraxx.com
Thanks! I've already been talking with his associate, and I sent the decoder back for possible repair.