dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There has recently been a short thread about Zimo going bust which reminded me about this little subject. I have a bee in my bonnet about Sound Cards in our Locomotives and how they are used. At many Midel Railway Shows and on Garden Railway Video's there is a clear lack of understanding about how and why sounds are used. US Railways have clear rules about sounds and so do we in UK. I will not bore you with those (if I could find the pages in Magazines where I have read them I might)! But as I have been spending a great deal of time in my friends Garden at Watchet just by the Station there, I have been listeneing and noticing much more of what goes on.

The layout for a Down Train on the WSR by Watchet Station is that it may or may not Stop at Donniford Halt about a mile to the East. Come into Watchet via a Cutting behind the Memorial Sports Ground go over a Level Crossing, Stop at the Station then depart up to Washford climbing Kentsford Bank on the way which has 3 Farm Crossings. The climb to this bank starts immediately from the Platform to the West of Watchet Station.

WSR WATCHET Sound
DOWN TRAIN
Arriving:-
1 Occasionally Short muted whistle when departing Donniford Halt Request Stop
2 Sometimes muted chuffs for Donniford Departure
3 Rumble of Train (in cutting)
3a Blower on sometimes
4 Long Whistle for xing
5 Departing and while standing :-
5a Occasional Blower
5b Short Whistle
6 Short Chuffs
7 Sometimes Drain Cocks Sound
8 Then harder chuffs as loco gets feet
9 Sometimes a slip on wet/greasy rail
10 Chuffs into distance
11 Long Whistles muted for 2 x crossings on Kentsford Bank.
Note that one of Crossings on Kentsford Bank does not always get whistle.

What this suggests for our Sound Cards is perhaps the following Sounds:-
Main Screen
- Muted Whistle for long distance away.
- Short Whistle
- Long Whistle
- Blower
- Train Rumble
- Wheel Slip
- Up sound to Chuffs (sometimes taken care of by more power)
- Down sound to Chuffs as loco slows for Station (sometimes taken care of by less power drifting)

Secondary Screen
- Coal Shovelling that thing that so annoys me needs to be present but on demand and I would suggest on the Shift Line as it is hardly noticed certainly not at the whim of a sound card
- Announcements perhaps a Guards Whistle is a better bet as supplied on some sound cards.
- Buffer Clank and Coupling
There are more than I have listed on many cards, but re reading through my scenario as described above many of them are less used and happily covered by the secondary screen.

Between those sounds of the Train comming and going all one hears is the normal sounds of a small seaside Town, occasional Dog Bark in the Memorial Park, Seagulls Squeaking, Traffic noise sea muted below the cliffs unless there is a storm. You get the picture.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Coal shovelling... annoys me to, it's usually too loud, and even plays on some oil burning locos. o_O

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with the main point of JonD's treatise on the subject of sound, if you're going to the expense of fitting sound card and speakers it would be good to have more than a steady chuff chuff. Many sound cards are loadable with new sounds but that's more expense for the sound programming gizmos. Another roundtuit. But I'd like to see some more discussion and hints and tips on this.

Ref the point about coal shovelling being too loud, depending on the sound card you can adjust the volume of individual sounds, certainly can on Massoth, or don't assign a function key, or remove it from the list of random or standing sounds.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
MyLocoSound steam soundcards have three chuff styles which are selected automatically in response to the operator's use of the throttle. There is a loud, hard chuff when the train is accelerating or going up hill which tails off when acceleration stops. A medium, smoother chuff takes over during cruising. When slowing down there is a gentle "tick tick" sound as the loco comes to a halt. The chuff rate is adjustable to match the wheel rotation and the number of cylinders.

Other sounds not listed above are the safety valve blowing off and the injectors.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I agree on the coal shoveling... it's almost always way too loud... I have never been around a prototype where you could be 300 yards away and hear every nuance of a shovel scraping in a tender and loco.

My QSI sound cards have 32 different sounds, all individually settable in volume and can also be faded between either of 2 speakers.

It also have infinitely variable chuff sounds where the volume and attack change as the load changes, giving a lot of variety even on straight level track.

Greg

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
If you simply must have sound - I would say go live steam. It may not sound much like the real thing but at least it is real and it never gets annoying even after a full days exhibition running. Unlike the usual unbelievable synthetic noises which tend to get very annoying very quickly.

Of all the sound installations I've heard, there's not been one where I could close my eyes and say ''hmm... that could just be the real thing" or even anything close to it.

YMMV .... :)

Reactions: 2 users

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
If you simply must have sound - I would say go live steam. It may not sound much like the real thing but at least it is real and it never gets annoying even after a full days exhibition running. Unlike the usual unbelievable synthetic noises which tend to get very annoying very quickly.

Of all the sound installations I've heard, there's not been one where I could close my eyes and say ''hmm... that could just be the real thing" or even anything close to it.

YMMV .... :)
I am afraid it is the tinny high pitched exhaust accompanied by the fizzy popping sounds of evaporating water which puts me off live steam I am afraid! :(

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am afraid it is the tinny high pitched exhaust accompanied by the fizzy popping sounds of evaporating water which puts me off live steam I am afraid! :(
Live Steam with a Chuffer Pipe and a SloMo is indeed the business in spite of the SloMo whine if you go too fast. But for everyday running I am afraid that I do like my digital sound. Train Lime with a Zino Devoder being my all up favourite.