Country flag
That sounds like fun - interesting - keep us posted:nerd:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
ROSS said:
Anybody interested in experimenting with a sound card 9v job.(costs £8 plus postage £1.85. Be great if it could be operated from reed switches/magnets. Bought one so will give it a go.

images

http://www.dayga.co.uk/Miscellaneous_components/9V_Recording_Module

You know me toooo well Ross - just up my street for the level crossing bell - I wonder :thinking:.... anyway I've ordered one.
Will let you know how I get on.

Regards
Rob

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks for pointing me at the supplier Ross - surprised to find it in a Radio Shack box.... and then there's the lingerie stuff.:confused:

I intend to use it to provide railroad crossing bells from a removable trackside structure, possible triggered mechanically from either approach.... I'll post here when I've done something worthwhile :yawn:

Rob

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
ROSS said:
Found this on a web page. The blue comment is mine.

**** If this Recording Module blows up for whatever reason such as static or over voltage. You will need to replace the 9 VDC battery with regulated 5 VDC source. Remove the 3 pin device regulator, remove the original red wire and place at where the 3 resistors all meet near the board long edge. Keep rest of wires as is and resume normal use.
(3 RESISTORS MEET AT THE BOTTOM EDGE OF THE BOARD.
HOLE NEAR R3.
Hope this is THE right place! )

**** I believe this information relates to a slightly different version of the unit - circuit/components differ.

Well, Ross, it worked for a while - replaced the press switch (on PCB) with leads connected to 2 x reed switches centered one down, other up line of crossing - speaker magnet (lowered in loco tender) activated sound pretty well after some fine tuning.
But then strange things started to happen - sometimes speaker magnet triggered sound on and immediately off again (imagine circular magnet created two magnetic fields??) then it became hit & miss - would switch correctly in one direction but fail completely when loco returned in the opposite.
Today I can't get any sound from the unit at all, although it appears to be recording OK (led lighting)

Back to the drawing baord
Regards
Rob