Sound for Thomas (and/or Percy)

Woodduck

Registered
8 Sep 2010
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Has anyone heard of (sorry - bad pun) or installed a sound card for Thomas the Tank Engine?

I run trains at Christmas and have lots of children attracted to the new Bachmann Thomas (and Percy)/

I haven't found yet, a sound card with the distinctive "peep, peep" - plus the chuff.

Thanks

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Geoff,

You don't have to look far. MyLocoSound soundcards are made in Adelaide and are running in quite a few Thomas and Percy locos around the world. They can be purchased from the web site at http://www.mylocosound.com/ < Link To www.mylocosound.com or from Pamak or RCS. Information and videos are on the web site.

I converted a Thomas to battery powered sound for my granddaughter and she is visiting this weekend so I will do a video to post.

Are you trackpower DC, DCC or battery power?

Regards
Peter Lucas

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Couldn't you just use a recording of Ringo Starr talking?!! :happy: :happy:

Woodduck

Registered
8 Sep 2010
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Hi Peter,

I will be using track power - standard LGB MTS (type II from memory). This means I can run 1 analogue train and 1 DCC equipped train on the same track/circuit. (or at least this is what I did last year for a Christmas layout).

I had heard great things about the MyLocoSound card (from Pamak, good write up in Graden Railways mag among others) and plan for them to be installed in some locos my RR develops. However, Thomas's "peep peep" is quite distinctive and I thought the Myloco whistle was (relatively) generic.

I went to the mylocosound web site and can't find anywhere to hear the sounds - so I am not sure.
If you have used them before, perhaps you can offer comment?

Thanks

Woodduck

Registered
8 Sep 2010
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Traincontroller

Thanks Cliff for your comments and references. I had a read through it all and then at the videos.
You have an awesome layout - well done!! and congratulations.
Regards

Woodduck

Registered
8 Sep 2010
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Woodduck said:
I went to the mylocosound web site and can't find anywhere to hear the sounds - s

PS - well that was dumb of me - I found the link to the YouTube videos, to hear the sounds. (Clearly, I only had a bloke look before).
Anyway - the whistle on the British steam, seems a long way from the "peep peep" that Thomas says - and the American steam...well it might be able to be adjusted, but the British chuff is better.
So, now I am confused.....

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
Have you thought about sticking something like the QSI magnum in it? Okay trying to match up the Thomas "chuff" will be interesting but at least you could assign your own custom sound? (thomas whistle?)

Hopefully one day QSI will allow for more "custom sounds" to replace ones they provide.

Just my 2pence worth!

Woodduck

Registered
8 Sep 2010
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
darkdaniel100 said:
Have you thought about sticking something like the QSI magnum in it?

It sounds like (sorry - another bad pun:yawn:) the ESU LokSoundXL would appear to be an attractive option.
After reading Cliff's notes on http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=44640&high=Thomas < Link To http://www.gscalecentral....=44640&high=Thomas , he has customised a range of Thomas's sayings as well as sounds. But (I think) it will need a ESU decoder to go with it, to make it fully functional (and so be it, I guess).
I will have to dig and research further....
Regards