Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I am about to purchase an "electric" Lew with radio control. Any ideas for a good sound unit with a realistic whistle etc? The other option is to fit it for DCC with Lok Sound- not my first choice in this case. I prefer the R/C option for my L&B stock if I can. I am aware of MyLoco Sound but are there any others out there that is not DCC?

Thanks Henrik

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Henrik but there's not a lot of choice as the other non dcc units tend to be US or European hooter whistles. The latest mylocosound do appear to be the best option for rc British locos at present. What rc are you fitting? I know they should arrive next month and mine already has a loksound chip waiting. It will be interesting to see how it comes apart for fitting batteries etc.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have an old Bachmann 'Lyn'.. Runs a bit rough at present, so a little unsure of the current it will draw..?
Can anyone suggest a sound decoder I could use in this loco please?
PhilP

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I used a loksound XL which I moved into the new model. The old one drew too much for HO decoders but the new one is only about 1 amp stalled. Bit risky with an HO one but the small Massoth loco decoder should be fine and save you £40.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
By 'small Massoth loco decoder' do you mean the LS?
Am after a sound plus driving decoder preferably. - I do have the means to load soundfiles to the decoder, but do not think there would be a 'sensible' Massoth soundfile for this loco?? - A German station announcement would not do! :mad:
PhilP

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The only way to be certain is to measure the current draw with under stall conditions. As to sound files there's no 'accurate' file so it's a case of as close as possible. Options are choosing one of the uk files for loksound or Zimo decoders or use a suitable German one with a close whistle and don't use the announcements.
I've used the loksound BR91 & 98 files on my Accucraft locos.

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys. It was about the summary that I came up with. All of my Austrian collection has Lok Sound chips in it. Really they are about the best around. I was hoping to get away from DCC for portability to visit other peoples layouts- but maybe not. I may try the Mylocsound card in the first instance and then as a backstop the XL decoder. Thanks for your help.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
If the Massoth drc300 ever emerges then we'll have the best of both worlds.
;)
425AirportFlyingPigs.jpg

Rik

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth have promised a refuelling rig for them as well!
:happy:

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Well several years later I fitted a Loksound XL decoder with the BR standard gauge sound file. I figure the wheel arrangement is similar so the sound might be able to be tweaked a bit if needed. Haven't heard it yet but will know in a few weeks when I pick up the two of them ( an Accucraft and GRS MW). I ended up putting in a Dalee unit into the Bachmann 2-4-2T Lyn. It is ok for what I want. I didn't go the RC way for my L&BR stock. Into the Baugleys I am putting in RCS with battery control if I can get some more parts. Love the RCS concept for control and so much easier than stick controllers. A lot of our "Steam Boys" have or are going over to RCS. Would love a better selection of BR sounds for Loksound.