trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Nice vid Dan - the vintage clips were also interesting (particularly the ferry). Always thought of converting a Bachmann coach!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Superb vid, link to the Museum Webb Site

http://www.wrm.org

If I do another trip to the West Coast of US this will certainly be on the Itinery.
JonD

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Dan

I thought the video was fascinating and definitely somewhere I would like to visit. Like Trammayo I was most interested in the train ferry, I'm sure that will provide a fair bit of inspiration for many.

David

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Missed out on visiting there on my visit to the Bay Area last May, mainly as I didn't bother with hiring a car on that trip and the Museum is not reachable by Public Transit (Nearest railhead is Fairfield from memory). One for a future visit though.
I've got a similar problem this year for the Oregon Electric Railway Museum, but I think a 1 day car hire may be in order there.....

mcbearuk

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
I remember having a very happy day at the museum back in the 1990's. We arrived in the morning and when the operators found out that I was in the tramway business in Europe I was recruited on the spot as an additional driver and spent a happy time driving the Birney Safety Car for a large part of the day. Very happy time!

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Missed out on visiting there on my visit to the Bay Area last May, mainly as I didn't bother with hiring a car on that trip and the Museum is not reachable by Public Transit (Nearest railhead is Fairfield from memory). One for a future visit though.
I've got a similar problem this year for the Oregon Electric Railway Museum, but I think a 1 day car hire may be in order there.....
Quite how one can manage in the US without a car I fail to imagine. Ok in some of th more Public Transport enlightened Towns/Cities but the rest of US, well you are pretty much dead in the water.
JonD

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Quite how one can manage in the US without a car I fail to imagine. Ok in some of th more Public Transport enlightened Towns/Cities but the rest of US, well you are pretty much dead in the water.
JonD
Depends on the area being visited whether you can manage without a car. Most of my trips have been to the eastern seaboard between Boston and Washington DC, so public transport provision is good there, and with the delights of the internet, you can get full details of bus services provided rather than "going in blind". Some places that might be unlikely bus territory - eg Lancaster, PA, have an almost "European" network of urban and country bus services, with very cheap day tickets.
This years jaunt to Seattle and Portland in the Pacific NW covers two main cities with excellent public transport (tram/trolleybus/bus/local rail) with day tickets costing $8 and $5 respectively! Travel between the two centres will be by Amtrak. If you take into account the number of breweries in each city (another interest on the trip other than the transport side), you wouldn't want to drive!!!!
I've certainly done a lot of driving in the US (and Canada) on previous trips when I have hired a car - one of them racking up a mere 3674 miles of solo driving around the mid-west in a 3 week period...........

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Quite how one can manage in the US without a car I fail to imagine

Sorry, we appear to have entered thread drift here but I have to agree with the comment. My experience of visiting my son and family in the US is that where he lives, there is no public transport, no footways (sidewalks) to allow you to walk safely to local shops, even if they were not too far away to do so. If you are not able to drive, for whatever reason, or do not have access to a car, you are 100% screwed. Young people there may be 'living the dream' but it is not a place I would want to grow old in.

David

Reactions: 1 user