Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm curious to know which railways in the UK used somersault signals.
I've read that they were first introduced by the GNR and were used in some railways in Ireland.
The below video is from the Nene Valley Railway.
They were also used by the VR in Australia and are still used by Puffing Billy narrow gauge therefore they are the main semaphore signals that I'm familiar with. I have a complete signal with lattice post disassembled in my back yard plus another arm, a few blades and spectacles.

Were they used by any narrow gauge railways in the UK or just standard gauge railways? Which ones?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Wikipedia: The Great Northern Railway was the first company to introduce "somersault" signals, mounted away from the post, after an accident in January 1876 when a train passed a signal giving a false "clear" aspect because the signal arm had frozen into its slot during a blizzard.[7]

P1080141.JPG

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Wikipedia: The Great Northern Railway was the first company to introduce "somersault" signals, mounted away from the post, after an accident in January 1876 when a train passed a signal giving a false "clear" aspect because the signal arm had frozen into its slot during a blizzard.[7]

AFAIK that Wikipedia entry is correct.
The theory being that with a center balanced signal any extra weight wouldn't change the aspect but the major improvement was the change away from slotted post signals.

I know of one narrow gauge system. During the earlier preservation era there was a considerable LNER Great Northern section influence on the Festiniog* railway. The Portmadoc* advanced starter was a somersault signal, motorised and interlocked with the Portmadoc* - Minfford section staff and a treadle that returned it to danger once a up train had passed.
The Portmadoc* home was also a somersault but conventionally wire operated.
* Spellings as used at the time.

https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Signals_controlling_section_entry

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've read that they were first introduced by the GNR and were used in some railways in Ireland.
The below video is from the Nene Valley Railway.
They were also used by the VR in Australia and are still used by Puffing Billy narrow gauge therefore they are the main semaphore signals that I'm familiar with. I have a complete signal with lattice post disassembled in my back yard plus another arm, a few blades and spectacles.

Were they used by any narrow gauge railways in the UK or just standard gauge railways? Which ones?
Any help would be much appreciated.

P1080141.JPG
Lots of Railways apparently had them, M&GN certain GWR Consituent Companies etc.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure how common they were. After Googling some more, it seems they were also used in New Zealand.
There is a project in the making. More on that later. :happy:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure how common they were. After Googling some more, it seems they were also used in New Zealand.

Yep, ours were generally McKenzie and Holland.

Not to be confused with the upper quadrants we had, which were Automatic Signalling signals that we flogged from South Australia, who had in turn flogged them from the Yanks.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, ours were generally McKenzie and Holland.

Not to be confused with the upper quadrants we had, which were Automatic Signalling signals that we flogged from South Australia, who had in turn flogged them from the Yanks.

Yeah, the one laying idle in my back yard is McKenzie and Holland although the picture above of one in the UK has a different blade and mount to the ones common here in Victoria, Australia. The ones form Vic Rail are baked enamel sheet steel with a formed top and bottom edge for stiffening.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, the one laying idle in my back yard is McKenzie and Holland although the picture above of one in the UK has a different blade and mount to the ones common here in Victoria, Australia. The ones form Vic Rail are baked enamel sheet steel with a formed top and bottom edge for stiffening.

Ours were baked enamel just like that, too. I have 'Distant' blade (notched end, yellow with black arrow stripe).

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There is something hypnotical about the working of Somersault Signals, I guess that is why so many Railway writers tend to mention them. Look forward to pics and perhaps a vid if you get round to making some.