justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What I keep on iCloud etc is only of concern for me if I lose it. There is nothing sensitive. It appears that because they share Bluetooth a deletion on one means the same happens on all devices etc. I tried deleting on one device whilst Bluetooth was off but when I switched back on the file was deleted on the others! Odd that it should do that instead of updating and reloading the image.
Grrr.
I use a constantly varying VPN which can be a bit of a bind as I am repeatedly warned about access from strange places but, it is a small price to pay for keeping the ne’er do wells at bay.
i just keep a usb stick for sensitive data, plug it in....do your work...plug it out....but i am a simple company!!!!!kopie and past every month....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Dropbox works the same way, effectively a "shared" hard drive. Delete it on one place and it should be gone everywhere.

New versions of DropBox allow you to override that deletion... and there are more options.

But Apple software is famous for a simplified interface, and thus fewer options.

I am still amazed you only back up a business once a month... so you are gambling that you can lose up to 30 days of work....

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
What I keep on iCloud etc is only of concern for me if I lose it. There is nothing sensitive. It appears that because they share Bluetooth a deletion on one means the same happens on all devices etc. I tried deleting on one device whilst Bluetooth was off but when I switched back on the file was deleted on the others!
With iPad or iPhone, when you delete from your iCloud folder, you are deleting from the server, which is why you lose it, you will have had a warning, but may have click “not to show again” at sometime. You need to transfer out of your folder anything you wish to keep, but not in the cloud.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
i just keep a usb stick for sensitive data, plug it in....do your work...plug it out....but i am a simple company!!!!!kopie and past every month....
Igor
I have yet to find a usb stick which works with an iPad. At best, I get a few images but most transfer as no more than a dozen pixels!
After using 2 or 3 times the iPads then fail to recognise the sticks entirely. :(

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Igor
I have yet to find a usb stick which works with an iPad. At best, I get a few images but most transfer as no more than a dozen pixels!
After using 2 or 3 times the iPads then fail to recognise the sticks entirely. :(
I have 2 usb sticks that work happily with iPad and iPhone and have had both over 3 years now. I tend to use the leef just for pics as that it was bought for. The other is a FlashDrive which also works for pics but files as well. I have used both to load pics from my iMac to iPad for use in the forum. Both sticks plug into the lightning connector on the iPad or iPhone without ant dongle etc.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2 usb sticks that work happily with iPad and iPhone and have had both over 3 years now. I tend to use the leef just for pics as that it was bought for. The other is a FlashDrive which also works for pics but files as well. I have used both to load pics from my iMac to iPad for use in the forum. Both sticks plug into the lightning connector on the iPad or iPhone without ant dongle etc.
Thanks for the info Jon I have ordered a leef. I desperately need to clear images from my overloaded iPads.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info Jon I have ordered a leef. I desperately need to clear images from my overloaded iPads.
You will not be disappointed with the Leef, it is a great stick. Strangely since the original posting the FlashDrive one is playing up but the Leef is still going strong, so clearly you have made a good choice.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
You will not be disappointed with the Leef, it is a great stick. Strangely since the original posting the FlashDrive one is playing up but the Leef is still going strong, so clearly you have made a good choice.
I have found it slightly odd to use, most Images are lower resolution than the originals but I suspect that iCloud Is the culprit.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have found it slightly odd to use, most Images are lower resolution than the originals but I suspect that iCloud Is the culprit.
Yes took me a while to get used to it Keith, but I do not use the cloud that much for stuff finding that to be a real pain in that it want to take over all your storage options. $ for Apple being the reason if you bust your free allocation. To transfer pics I normally copy direct to the Leaf from Mac or Pad then direct to Pad or Mac as appropriate. As I have Cloud switched off by default this does not get into the mix accidentally.