Some 16mm live steam for the Holidays.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
This past Saturday was the final steam up for 2019 for our local live steam club. Attendance at the show was light, as well as members of our local group with many having family obligations. But, 16mm narrow gauge was well represented by myself and my friend Brian. I was running my Pearse Earl, with one run lasting nearly an hour and a half with stops to replenish water several times, gas and oil were refilled once. Earl was pulling my mixed W&L consist of 2 Pickering brake coaches and some mixed freight wagons along with a brake van. Brian was running his Roundhouse Lilla pulling a quarryman's car from IP Engineering and some scratchbuilt slate wagons. The leader of our group and layout owner is Jim Sanders aka Mr Wee Bee Loco Works. Both Lilla and my Earl sport RCS 2.4ghz RC with palm size controlers. Something I wish Roundhouse would start using right from the factory. So much easier than those outdated twin stick radios. One palm control unit can run every engine in ones stable. Anyhow, here is the video. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year from our group to yours! Mike the Aspie

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
So who brought the Dolgoch and what else was represented at the show ? Looks like quite a lot was going on there. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Just had to do a bit of Googling - interesting results.

The Southwold Railway always ran mixed trains with the goods wagons between the loco and the passenger coaches, but the pictures that I can find of the W&L show the mixed trains in the formation that Mike was running :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just had to do a bit of Googling - interesting results.

The Southwold Railway always ran mixed trains with the goods wagons between the loco and the passenger coaches, but the pictures that I can find of the W&L show the mixed trains in the formation that Mike was running :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SR
As a rule this was true as it meant that Wagons could be detached at intermediate Stations without the passengers having to endure the rough and tumble of shunting. There was business to be had from and to Intermediate stations and a mill. However in the Middleton Press book there are at least 2 pictures showing Goods Wagons on the rear of the Train. Also Peter Paye’s book mentions that there was at time a Van at each end of a Train Consist. This is of course not an always as things changed depending upon the years being looked at.

W+L
Certainly the pics that I have found in my David and Charles A5 Hard Back History shows Wagons on the rear, this is pretty logical as most of the goods leaving would be for the full run of the line thus freight traffic would be removed once the Engine has run round leaving the coaches in place for Passengers to get off or on them at either Terminus. Sadly I do not have the large format history of the line. But it is fair to say that intermediate traffic on this line was somewhat limited.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
SR
As a rule this was true as it meant that Wagons could be detached at intermediate Stations without the passengers having to endure the rough and tumble of shunting. There was business to be had from and to Intermediate stations and a mill. However in the Middleton Press book there are at least 2 pictures showing Goods Wagons on the rear of the Train. Also Peter Paye’s book mentions that there was at time a Van at each end of a Train Consist. This is of course not an always as things changed depending upon the years being looked at.

W+L
Certainly the pics that I have found in my David and Charles A5 Hard Back History shows Wagons on the rear, this is pretty logical as most of the goods leaving would be for the full run of the line thus freight traffic would be removed once the Engine has run round leaving the coaches in place for Passengers to get off or on them at either Terminus. Sadly I do not have the large format history of the line. But it is fair to say that intermediate traffic on this line was somewhat limited.
Yep, my train of thought ('scuse the pun) was set in motion by a comment that I thought came from the MP book on the SR about the number of wagons allowed in a mixed train - but yes, there are a couple of pictures of mixed trains with coaches in the middle and one with coaches at the front.

However, is the reason that the SR did not have any brake vans? (Apparently it only had two small, 4w, goods vans.)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, my train of thought ('scuse the pun) was set in motion by a comment that I thought came from the MP book on the SR about the number of wagons allowed in a mixed train - but yes, there are a couple of pictures of mixed trains with coaches in the middle and one with coaches at the front.

However, is the reason that the SR did not have any brake vans? (Apparently it only had two small, 4w, goods vans.)
To the best of my knowledge there was little need for one as when the line was built it was always intended to run Passenger or Mixed Trains, thus the guard would be in the Passenger Van to check tickets. Though some freights did run predominantly to the Harbour I guess that it was considered that the expense of a van was not required. To be brutally honest the SR was pretty much strapped for cash during its existance.