Solvent free-UHU

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's like this, when I went to buy a tube of UHU in my local model shop, there was the choice of either a monster tube of the traditional UHU, or a reasonably price tube of new, solvent-free UHU :think::think::think:

So, I sallied forth, embraced a few trees, changed my affiliation to the Green Party, and bought the solvent-free :clap::clap:

However .......................... :confused::confused:

It doesn't cure as quickly as the good ole' sniffable stuff, and I'm beginning to wonder if it ever actually cures, or whether it stays like tacky rubber.

Given the choice again, I'd have to shell out for the monster tube - the jury's very much still out on the solvent-free version :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

Has anybody else tried it?

No, I don't mean sniffing it, 'cos you can't, but has anybody actually tried to glue something with it :emo::emo:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't, but I'm not the least bit surprised! It'll be water based. One day perhaps someone will invent special water that evaporates quickly.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I never had any desired results with UHU, and have always resorted to one of the "Goops". there are several Goops, but all are basically the same.
If you are working with "Styrene", you are better off using lacquer thinner, or MEC. BTW...Pola buildings are made of Styrene...and don't require UHU to repair them.
As far as the fumes from any of these fluids; just don't use them in a confined space like a broom closet, or a kitchen cupboard...good ventilation is advisable. This is taking into consideration, that you are not going to start painting a wall, or spray the liquids mentioned. Use common sense at all times, if common sense still exists in your life...!!
Fred Mills

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I never had any desired results with UHU, and have always resorted to one of the "Goops". there are several Goops, but all are basically the same.
If you are working with "Styrene", you are better off using lacquer thinner, or MEC. BTW...Pola buildings are made of Styrene...and don't require UHU to repair them.
As far as the fumes from any of these fluids; just don't use them in a confined space like a broom closet, or a kitchen cupboard...good ventilation is advisable. This is taking into consideration, that you are not going to start painting a wall, or spray the liquids mentioned. Use common sense at all times, if common sense still exists in your life...!!
Fred Mills
I've not always had a lot of luck with superglues or cyanoacetates - but the traditional solvent based UHU is a good multi-purpose adhesive that, in modern times, has had the ability to stick anything to anything with nigh on rock solid results.

However, the solvent-free version seems to be a good few steps back into the past.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Based on these comments I'll stick to the UHU from Poundland - I would prefer the old Evo-Stick but you can't get that any more and the new less effective stuff costs an arm and a leg in these parts.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Fred Mills

We've been all but completely legislated out of 'common sense' this side of the pond Fred. Sure there are hazards with some of these solvents, if you are using them all day, every day, but I don't see why that should stop the ordinary bloke from occasional use. These 'blanket rules' are going way beyond the original intention.

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Slight off-topic but still on glues - if anyone wants some REALLY effective cyanoacrylate (superglue), try this stuff:

Hafixs Industrial Products- Home Page

Many here will probably have seen their stand at the 16mm NGA show at Peterborough, I first bought some there a few years back and have been using it ever since - not cheap, but it's certainly the best superglue I've ever used, and the big 50g bottle lasts for ages if you look after it (keep it in the fridge, or at least shut away in the dark in a drawer) and wipe the nozzle clean after each use to avoid the cap getting stuck on the bottle!

Usual disclaimer: no connection with them apart from as a very satisfied customer.

Jon.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
We've been all but completely legislated out of 'common sense' this side of the pond Fred. Sure there are hazards with some of these solvents, if you are using them all day, every day, but I don't see why that should stop the ordinary bloke from occasional use. These 'blanket rules' are going way beyond the original intention.

It's also a question though of environmental impact. Atmosphere + solvents = not good for atmosphere.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In the current Garden Rail a guy that lives in Nebraska (hot in summer below zero winter) has been rebuilding Plastic Based Buikdings using Styreene (Plasticard to us this side if the Pond). Leaves them outside 24/7/365 with no issues. He has been using ‘3M Automotive Emblem Adhesive’. Never heard of it before and a derisory search for the equivalent in uk has not (I am carp at webb search) revealed any equivalent. But if any glue can withstand that kind of environment (plastic emblems on the front of a car or truck) it ought to be good for us.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
'wipe the nozzle clean after each use'

That sounds like sound advice in all sorts of situations

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's also a question though of environmental impact. Atmosphere + solvents = not good for atmosphere.
In the current Garden Rail a guy that lives in Nebraska (hot in summer below zero winter) has been rebuilding Plastic Based Buikdings using Styreene (Plasticard to us this side if the Pond). Leaves them outside 24/7/365 with no issues. He has been using ‘3M Automotive Emblem Adhesive’. Never heard of it before and a derisory search for the equivalent in uk has not (I am carp at webb search) revealed any equivalent. But if any glue can withstand that kind of environment (plastic emblems on the front of a car or truck) it ought to be good for us.

Temperature may be an issue - I'm trying it indoors :nerd::nerd:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
He has been using ‘3M Automotive Emblem Adhesive’. Never heard of it before and a derisory search for the equivalent in uk has not (I am carp at webb search) revealed any equivalent.

Possibly this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-08061-Plastic-Emblem-Adhesive/dp/B0002MID28
And the instruction for use PDF - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...dhesive-instructions-and-product-features.pdf

Searching on the 3M UK site only shows the tapes up for this application - I assume it is a US product that Amazon make available on the UK site, hence the high price. Just a thought.

Not cheap is it for just a punt - is there a UK sourced equivalent or is there something in it that EU laws prohibit. Max

Last edited:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag

In large quantities, yes, but the small amounts we use make next to no difference if any.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
In large quantities, yes, but the small amounts we use make next to no difference if any.

That's the problem, lots of people follow that line of thought and, on an individual basis, there is some truth in it, but small quantity x many uses = large effect. It appears that for some time (maybe years, certainly months), our cold water tank has been dripping; we found that out when water came through the kitchen ceiling, followed by the kitchen ceiling lying in close proximity to the kitchen floor shortly after.

Edit: addition of "ceiling" in last line.

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have found the water based ones to be pretty useless on non absorbent surfaces.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have tried again - in a warmer environment, also in a situation where it is slightly less adhesion critical (if that's possible for a glue) - no direct pull-out forces if you get my meaning :emo::emo:

Being of a parsimonious nature, it would offend me to simply chuck it away :nerd::nerd::nerd:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-08061-Plastic-Emblem-Adhesive/dp/B0002MID28
And the instruction for use PDF - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...dhesive-instructions-and-product-features.pdf

Searching on the 3M UK site only shows the tapes up for this application - I assume it is a US product that Amazon make available on the UK site, hence the high price. Just a thought.

Not cheap is it for just a punt - is there a UK sourced equivalent or is there something in it that EU laws prohibit. Max
Thatbis pretty well the storybof Price and no deliverybtommy UK Adress! Look like what we need but cant get!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Thatbis pretty well the storybof Price and no deliverybtommy UK Adress! Look like what we need but cant get!

Get it sent to Fred, who will send it to tac, who will pass it on to you! :think::think::D:D