Solar Power, almost free !!

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
I was using track power from the start but found it to be a chore cleaning track and as I was working odd hours it was not looked forward to,
I also wanted some type of wireless control, and be expandable, i made a shortlist of what I wanted and what was on offer at the time, two systems were ready to hand, one was Aristo train engineer, and the other was Locolinc,(Keithco), I went for the latter as I could get the units that week, I had already tried Bachmans dcc unit in LGB locos, it worked ok but not so good in the sun, plus dirty track issues.
The downside is the controller/transmitter is around £100, and the recievers are up to £100 each depending on amps needed. I have got a lot secondhand, and they all work well, plus Behren gave me an upgrade deal . each of the three transmitters I have will control 16 locos with sound features etc, and also turnouts auxilaries etc, I also got a pair of battery charger units from the same maker, one failed and was replaced, since that time however I just use a simple 20p charger unit.
I maintain 16volts dc to the track, this is from originally a car battery,with a simple charger ( Halfords best), the track is never cleaned, and I now use a small solar panel for charging, and sealed acid type batteries from a fire alarm panel, there are three at present on the railway,but I only use two, the panels charge from dawn till dusk, and even in the snow,
3460ed8fe09b480fb56080d6836c5690.jpg
38109ba5ef2044cc8b55aee9a9fbcfc4.jpg

All my locos have a small lead acid battery in, the small locos and railcar have 1.2ah , the large ABBA set a 2.4ah , all have the charger installed and a small indicator lamp in the cab to indicate that track power is present also. These lead acids will sit for months without recharge, and when in use will charge at any point when the track supply is on and the locos are at rest or lightly loaded, The reciever module switches automatically to the highest voltage,
e1107b140674448f844adcfc0101c855.jpg
b2a941f05d584dd7a97f569674d96613.jpg
c3ace0f64d704239a6975d3a87ff42f3.jpg

I have had eight locos moving at the same time under the controll of one transmitter, very scary, good job there is an emergency stop fitted.
ff1b9a647e1445a6acca050073ff6773.jpg
ba1ebc74c53c4f289e61d67ac0b63ad0.jpg

There is a website for Keithco/ locolinc, can someone please add the link, as I am too inept at that,

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
That is an awesome power system you have there, very clever indeed! Definately something I would be interested in when it's my turn to spend some money!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
nicebutdim said:
That is an awesome power system you have there, very clever indeed! Definately something I would be interested in when it's my turn to spend some money!

Same from me. :clap: Nice one Mr Spock. Top thread. Any chance of a circuit diagram and parts data?

The batteries look very neat indeed. Looking on the web, I could find some 12 volt 3.3amp batteries for £13.42 inc P&P here:
https://www.batterymasters.co.uk/Pr...2V-3.4-Ah-Lead-Acid-Rechargeable-Battery_1160 < Link To https://www.batterymaster...able-Battery_1160

Does that seem to be the right price/ performance point? Any particular requirements on chargers or would be ordinary car battery charger suffice? The same source has chargers at about £18.

Oh and where's your source for those solar panels?

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Solar power is the way to go if you can pull it off.....The panels are dirt cheap these days. I actually have a solar panel briefcase to power my Caravan and it works a treat....
[style="color: #3366ff;"]Brilliant system Spock, you are to be congratulated. You are a man of my own heart a fellow lateral thinker.....

Try ebay for good prices on solar panels and associated equipment, My 140watt 12 volt setup cost me au$290 exactly the same in the shops around AU$1000.... but to charge batteries you will need a regulator to prevent overcharging the batteries some Panels come with a regulator included especially the ones used to charge 12 volt batteries....

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant thread Pete, what receivers are you using?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Interesting thread indeed Pete, just one more request - can you make the size of font that you're using a bit bigger please. It's readable, but in a Specsavers eye test sort of way for those of us using smaller screens, laptops etc. :D.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
great idea
my son got a very efficient solar charger for his John o'groats to Lands end cycle ride, so he could charge his phone and iPod
worn on back or panniers, about 6x8", I think it was called a Freeloader
gives me an idea - I want to convert my new Stainz to battery power for all the reasons others have given, and for my grandson to use until he is old enough to use the steamers
I fancy your CLiff Barker set-up Mel

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Want to borrow me bi-focals Mel:D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Bram said:
Want to borrow me bi-focals Mel:D
I just knew someone would say that - toooooo predictable Bram :D.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
sorry - I fancy your Cliff Barker set-up Mel
:rofl:
I have to confess to the same need for reading glasses - wherever I left them

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
owlpool said:
gives me an idea - I want to convert my new Stainz to battery power for all the reasons others have given, and for my grandson to use until he is old enough to use the steamers
Highly recommended Paul, perfect for what you want I would say. I've got a second set-up on order, just waiting for Cliff to get more batteries in - AA's of course :clap:.

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
yb281 said:
owlpool said:
Highly recommended Paul, perfect for what you want I would say. I've got a second set-up on order, just waiting for Cliff to get more batteries in - AA's of course :clap:.
Are you using the keyfobs or mini controllers?
I've had a play with the system (when I picked up some track parts from Cliff) and was impressed but it is always good to get feedback from a genuine user before parting with cash for a product.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ceejaydee said:
yb281 said:
owlpool said:
Are you using the keyfobs or mini controllers?
I've had a play with the system (when I picked up some track parts from Cliff) and was impressed but it is always good to get feedback from a genuine user before parting with cash for a product.
Mini controller Chris. Details here;
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m94293
Also in the February edition of Garden Rail.

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
Thank you :)

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I am in the middle of fitting a Cliff Barker unit into my Frank S, all the kit will fit into the tender a treat:D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Bram said:
I am in the middle of fitting a Cliff Barker unit into my Frank S, all the kit will fit into the tender a treat:D
How many batteries are you going for mate?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Chris

Although you'll gather from the other thread that I'm far from being a convert to battery power, I have to say that Cliff Barker's stuff is the best such system I've ever used. A piece of cake to install and utterly straightforward to use. Very smooth stops and starts and the "cruise control" stop and resume features are simply excellent. Cliff's speed of service and helpfulness over the phone are also highly praiseworthy. I think the only think I might do differently is the battery side. I think I'd try one of the 12v sealed lead acid batteries rather than AA cells.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
I get the batteries from an alarm company for around £6 plus post, for the 1,2ah,
The charger was a basic halford unit for £12 but dont use it that much, but our aviation model cousins use plug in type that sell for around £7 that will slow charge at 500ma, as one picture shows there is plenty of power for the coach lighting, and as the recievers have a battery power supply there is no stalling or command forgotten,the track works as an infinite bus system, , and each battery runs around 100ft of track happily, I have 10amp fuses fitted it the track supply,
If I was starting again I would still keep the track powered supply and still use onboard chargers with lead acid, I dont like personally the nicad or iron types, plus it would be hard for me to decide between Beltrol or Barkers fobbs,or Lococlinc,
whatlep said:
nicebutdim said:

Same from me. :clap: Nice one Mr Spock. Top thread. Any chance of a circuit diagram and parts data?

The batteries look very neat indeed. Looking on the web, I could find some 12 volt 3.3amp batteries for £13.42 inc P&P here:
https://www.batterymasters.co.uk/Pr...2V-3.4-Ah-Lead-Acid-Rechargeable-Battery_1160 < Link To https://www.batterymaster...able-Battery_1160

Does that seem to be the right price/ performance point? Any particular requirements on chargers or would be ordinary car battery charger suffice? The same source has chargers at about £18.

Oh and where's your source for those solar panels?