Smoke Generator in Model Building-Anyone Tried it?

newboydave

G scale trains - no surprise there then!</br></br>
24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
Iv'e just completed a model of a log cabin, and wanted to fit a smoke generator in the chimney, to give a bit more realisem. Has anyone else done this?

If so, what type of smoke generaor did you use, (one with "burn-out protector" for example) and did you power it by battery (12v) or track power?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
not personaly, but i have seen to great efect ,is a mister unit, its a ultra sonic water mister... not smoke, but water vapour..fan asisted, it looked brillent, and also was cheap to run, (water) and it didnt coat the building in oillly residue

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
not personaly, but i have seen to great efect ,is a mister unit, its a ultra sonic water mister... not smoke, but water vapour..fan asisted, it looked brillent, and also was cheap to run, (water) and it didnt coat the building in oillly residue
I had no idea that these existed.
What a pity these aren't suitable for use in a loco.
I have found a 24V one but it is too large to put in a G Scale smokebox.
Has anyone ever tried dry ice, solid carbon dioxide?

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
24 Oct 2009
North Wales
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have used a Faller one in the burning house on Walts Playmobil Layout now for about seven years, though this is indoors. I have a timer on the smoke generator so that it is on for about 40 seconds and then off for a minute. It is powered by 16 volts A.C.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I have just been on the Faller site and it seems that they too have been in the Insolvency Court but look as if they might survive.