Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann claims the Lyn is 1:20.3 scale and the dimensions do match up pretty well with the specs from the L&B Railway webpage.

ne5OZYT.jpg

The Bachmann Lyn is closer to 1:22.5 but with a taller cab.
Do the math...
Prototype Lyn. Beam to beam: 23 ft 9 inch or 285 inches. Lyn | The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway
Bachmann Lyn. Beam to beam: 12.75 inches aprox.
Scale: 1:22.3

Some measurements of truck lengths, beam to beam mentioned in this thread.
Thomas truck: 220mm
Accucraft L&B truck: 160mm
Hartland truck: 140mm

The Thomas truck is much longer and higher compared to the Accucraft L&B truck even though a smaller scale.

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Smallest stock is the LGB Feldbahn range of wagons or the HLW trucks that are available now at

John Sutton Books and Models

Next up size wise would be the LGB Toytrain series of wagons, which are around 25 cm long.

Most of the LGB 4 wheel stock is 30 cm or longer....

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Im looking for smaller trucks, like the Bachmann Thomas grey trucks... but without faces

Does anyone know if I bought these thomas trucks, can the faces be removed at either end?

And also what the dimensions are?

Also, is there another smaller range i should be looking at? Everything I have seen, is pretty large.

Why not customize your wagons?
Have a look at this stuff, I use it for heaps of small rolling stock projects in the past and seeing as there is new offerings will again.

pasidump | eBay

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Bachmann Lyn is closer to 1:22.5 but with a taller cab.
Do the math...
Prototype Lyn. Beam to beam: 23 ft 9 inch or 285 inches. Lyn | The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway
Bachmann Lyn. Beam to beam: 12.75 inches aprox.
Scale: 1:22.3

Even ignoring the wrong gauge, this model this was never intended to be an accurate scale model of the Lyn. It's a generic model of an American tank locomotive with several variations, including an anglicized version as the Lyn.

In 1:22.5 scale it is the right length, but too wide and too tall. In 1:20.3 scale, the length is too short, but the height and width are essentially correct.

IMHO, the critical dimension when scaling to the rolling stock is the height since that is what stands out visually. That's why I took the photo so that sargent could decide if it worked for him.