Smaller wagons/trucks

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
Im looking for smaller trucks, like the Bachmann Thomas grey trucks... but without faces

Does anyone know if I bought these thomas trucks, can the faces be removed at either end?

And also what the dimensions are?

Also, is there another smaller range i should be looking at? Everything I have seen, is pretty large.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpegThese LGB feldbahn wagons are 1/22 scale but look just right being hauled by a 16mm locomotive. Accucraft do a range of L and B wagons which would look just right behind your locomotive.image.jpeg
Im looking for smaller trucks, like the Bachmann Thomas grey trucks... but without faces Does anyone know if I bought these thomas trucks, can the faces be removed at either end? And also what the dimensions are? Also, is there another smaller range i should be looking at? Everything I have seen, is pretty large.
Im looking for smaller trucks, like the Bachmann Thomas grey trucks... but without faces Does anyone know if I bought these thomas trucks, can the faces be removed at either end? And also what the dimensions are? Also, is there another smaller range i should be looking at? Everything I have seen, is pretty large.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure that the Thomas trucks are that small actually.

The feldbahn stock is. indeed, small - two items per straight length of rail. (I'm some putting some up for sale this coming week.)

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All the 'Thomas' range is over-scale, so the trucks look huge against others (IMHO)..

There are many smaller 'trucks' from the smaller suppliers.. Most in kit form, but pretty easy to construct, and slight cosmetic changes lift them from the mundane..

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
Cheers guys

Looking for something to accompany my Bachmann Lyn, few trucks and maybe a brake wagon

Where should I look for nice kits?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers guys

Looking for something to accompany my Bachmann Lyn, few trucks and maybe a brake wagon

Where should I look for nice kits?
If you're looking for something to run behind a Bachmann Lyn, why do you want small trucks? Prototypically it would have pulled bogie coaches or wagons, or normal sized trucks. Brandbright do some brilliant ones as do IP Engineering or Swift16 as mentioned above

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not kits I know, but Accucraft L&B stock?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have a few Accucraft L&B grey goods wagons that I'd be willing to part with for a fair price.
One each bogie brake, four wheeled van and four wheeled open. Also a bogie open but in S.R. brown and a four wheeled grey flat, W&L type.
Please message me if you're interested and I'll take and post photos.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
LGB Toy Train Opens and Vans if you can get some of the Garish Ones cheep to respray Matt Grey or Brown would work quite well too. GRS used to do quite a good selection of Transfers to put the SR Wording on but I cannot find anything on their website. Probably worthwhile to ring them if you go down that route.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, as other have said the Accucraft L&B rolling stock is available. Bachmann Lyn is about 1:22.5 scale. The 2 axle L&B trucks and vans are 1:19 but quite small prototypes. Small enough to still look good behind the 1:22.5 Bachmann Lyn. The Thomas truck is much larger even though scaled at around 1:22.5. It is a standard gauge prototype running as narrow gauge model therefore big. The naughty faces are glued on but pop off easily. The Thomas brake van seems to be a smaller scale than the rest of the range so that may be a consideration. Emily coaches can look OK behind Lyn too. Both will sit high unlike squat narrow gauge trains but some smaller wheels can help matters.
The Accucraft W&L brake is a very nice narrow gauge model if you don't mind mixing things up a little. I have a second plain grey one just for that.
The Hartland open trucks are even smaller much like the LGB field cars. The image above of the Hartland V dumps makes them look larger because Chloe in front is a very small locomotive.
An Accucraft chopper coupling can be fitted to the Bachmann Lyn to match the Accucraft cars if that's the way you wish to go.
Alternatively, If you decide to go the way of cars with hook n' loop or knuckle couplings rather than Accuccraft cars, you could customise a LGB Toytrain boxvan to a reasonable looking brake car. They come in grey as a French boxvan or garish yellow or blue from LG&B ToyTrain sets.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
Is it possible to change the couplings on the Accucraft to the hook and loop LGB style?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Almost anything is possible but not such an easy task.
I could see it was going to come down to couplings.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible to change the couplings on the Accucraft to the hook and loop LGB style?
Brandbright used to do a LGB compatible coupling that screwed into the Buffer Beam, not sure if they have been reintroduced by the new owners. i have used them on some of my Live Steam Locomotives.

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
New to this forum, but having been playing with live steam for about 8 years with a rather eclectic collection of Roundhouse (Billy, Katie, Silver Lady & SRRL) and Accucraft ( Emma, Fairymead & Decauville) locomotives. Moved to Lubbock Texas last year and currently building a new raised layout for the live steam, but decided to add battery power to the deadrail layout. Looking at Bachmann locomotives when I saw the Lyn with a pretty deep discount. Bought one and converted to battery with Rail Boss and Mylocosound in the trailing wagon.

Anyway, that's the background. The purpose of the post is the picture of the Lyn with an Accucraft L&B wagon and van in SR brown. They scale together very well.

Bachmann claims the Lyn is 1:20.3 scale and the dimensions do match up pretty well with the specs from the L&B Railway webpage.

ne5OZYT.jpg

I bolted an accucraft chopper coupler to the Lyn. Works well with my minimum radius of 6.5 ft, but is marginal on 3 ft radius.

Reactions: 1 users

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
I bolted an accucraft chopper coupler to the Lyn. Works well with my minimum radius of 6.5 ft, but is marginal on 3 ft radius.

Looks great thankyou!

I just bought a couple of Accucraft wagons and a box van. Cant wait to get my setup goign soon

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
Brandbright used to do a LGB compatible coupling that screwed into the Buffer Beam, not sure if they have been reintroduced by the new owners. i have used them on some of my Live Steam Locomotives.

Is this the one? Brandbright

Is it a case of taking off the current couping and screwing that in?!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the one? Brandbright

Is it a case of taking off the current couping and screwing that in?!
Yup that is the one, looks like they have reintroduced it. On a Loco will also allow Chain Coupling thatbis used by most of the 16mm Guys. Only issue is to ensure that the heightbon your loco will match an LGB Coupling hoop.