Small Wye for a shunting hole

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Looking to make life a bit easier for building up/down trains/consists with a hole for a shunter accessible from both of two running tracks:
View attachment 241116
Easy to do with Aristo #6s but I don't have the room/budget so am looking for a compact solution for a small shunter only e.g. LGB U-Class.

I do have spare Aristo WRs = 10ft diameter LH and RH but what about the Wye? So far I have found:

TrainLi/Thiel 27-1870 Y-Weiche, Messing, 20°, R 200 cm at 165,00 €
Bertran Heyn's Y-Weiche R3, 2 x 15° Länge ca. 320 mm at 154,00 €.

We have installed track/points from both these suppliers successfully already.

Two Qs please:
1. Are there any alternatives?

2. Assuming I end up having to tweak the track alignment (e.g. the diverging curve of the Aristo WRs) which of these two would you rather work from?

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Notice that you will have to increase the track to track spacing when you use the Aristo turnouts, since the diverging angle is steeper.

Maybe you can find some free track planning software that has these switches in it and "hook them up" to see how it fits.

Greg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I know this one well from my days working on the railway in the early 80s: Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, Hythe station. The centre trailing Y point has no spring at all and simply flops to one side or the other as the loco runs through.
The two outside points have their tiebars joined presumably to prevent two locos being able to converge on the centre line with disastrous results! Again they're not sprung but as I recall are simply "kicked over" once the loco has been uncoupled and moved forward.

1280px-Hythe_station.jpg

(Image from wikipedia)

Last edited:

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
I know this one well! Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, Hythe station. The trailing Y point has no spring at all and simply flops to one side or the other as the loco runs through.

1280px-Hythe_station.jpg

(Image from wikipedia)

Thanks Nick that's the sort of thing.

No cann do Greg neither of these options are in track libraries in Anyrail (or at least not in my version), that's exactly where I had started.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Was afraid of that... well have to try to figure the diverging angle of the Aristo WR switches and then translate that to the closing angle for the wye. Problem is that the Aristo switches are not "standard" switches with a "fixed" diverging angle like the prototype, and like the #6, but the diverging track is curved, pretty close to about 9' diameter... I think you may have to approximate the angle... you can do that with Anyrail, then figure which wye is closest and then physically put it together as best as you can.

Greg