Small-sized charcoal for small-sized steamers?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Living in the almost middle of nowhere doesn't help find a source of small-lump charcoal for our little locos.

Delivered is better than going to find it, although we are not far from the A1 near Huntingdon, Cambs.

'snot for me, BTW, I'm way too impecunious to have a coal-fired steamer.

TIA

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
tac, old soldier like you should be able to do it yourself!

a piece of denim, to form a bag, charcoal of 1:1 size and a big hammer.
(best results, right after something had angered you)

alternative: wifey's kitchen mixer and charcoal. (in that case the anger comes after the deed)

or an old style manual coffee grinder (with the adjustment screw very loose)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'snot for me, old pal. Like a mentioned. But many thanks for the reminder anyhow. BTW, anything you're needing right now? Give me a call if so.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
...anything you're needing right now? Give me a call if so.
thanks, no thanks.
haven't touched a tool in months. need to get back on tracks.
but, as my layout's estimated building time exceeds my probable "use before..." by years anyhow, i'm in no hurry.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Silly question Tac - Are we talking about charcoal for soaking in paraffin to act as a medium to start the fire in a small loco's firebox before adding itty bitty sized regular coal rather than small sized coal lumps ?

If so I note something known as "activated charcoal" or "activated carbon" is readily available from chemists (my mother swore by it for tummy upsets) and horticulturalists on the web and high street. Is this stuff usable in the application I mention or is it another type of charcoal ? Just thought I'd toss it in there. Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Silly question Tac - Are we talking about charcoal for soaking in paraffin to act as a medium to start the fire in a small loco's firebox before adding itty bitty sized regular coal rather than small sized coal lumps ?

If so I note something known as "activated charcoal" or "activated carbon" is readily available from chemists (my mother swore by it for tummy upsets) and horticulturalists on the web and high street. Is this stuff usable in the application I mention or is it another type of charcoal ? Just thought I'd toss it in there. Max

Yus, that's the idea. However, the activated charcoal you mention is sold in tea-spoon sized amounts for stupid amounts of money, and those lucky blighters who run coal-fired locos need the stuff by the kilogram, rather than the gram.