Slow speed performance

Joecaboose

Registered
11 Feb 2021
South Carolina
Best answers
Country flag
How can I improve the slow speed performance on my Roundhouse Forney?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
How long have you had it, if it isn't run in that will affect the ability to control it.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
SloMo is what you need, but not sure if you can get one for that loco. Have a look or chat to the owner of this site.
This link to my RH steam tram chassis under test shows the results, the slight whine you hear is the gearing in the device tends to only be noticeable at higher speeds.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Practice and as Tony said “Turn the gas down and run at 20psi”.
I have a good number of Roundhouse live steam locomotives and each has its own idiosyncratics. Plenty of practice and experience can lead to slow and smooth running.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Noting what Tony and Casey said and I do respect their views, for true slow speed and shunting the SloMo is unbeatable IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Noting what Tony and Casey said and I do respect their views, for true slow speed and shunting the SloMo is unbeatable IMHO.
Unbeatable? I disagree.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Almost the same result can be achieved by good loco management, i.e. running at a pressure well below whatever the safety valve is set to blow. Much cheaper, and achievable without modifying the loco. Slomos are certainly clever and well-made, if a tad noisy for my personal liking. Are they unbeatable? Certainly not. I've installed several, and it is true to say that they make a major change to a loco's performance characteristics.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Almost the same result can be achieved by good loco management, i.e. running at a pressure well below whatever the safety valve is set to blow. Much cheaper, and achievable without modifying the loco. Slomos are certainly clever and well-made, if a tad noisy for my personal liking. Are they unbeatable? Certainly not. I've installed several, and it is true to say that they make a major change to a loco's performance characteristics.
Tony, honestly, some very interesting points, which I cannot disagree with (mainly because I do not have Slomo), but you last line (it is true to say that they make a major change to a loco's performance characteristics.) almost seems to argue for their virtues. :)

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well we must agree to disagree. i have no issue with that.

For my part running up to a set of stock and “kissing” the buffers without a nasty bang or shoving stock back a few inches is possible but difficult to achieve reliably without a lot of hard work and yes practice without a SloMo. I run my live steam rarely so am unpracticed with driving techniques. Thus I find that the SloMo gives me the unbeatable, reliable, believable control that I like and want when I use them

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Unless you are prepared to install a Slo-mo device in each loco - something that might be painful to your pocket but will surely please the makers - the other option, taken up by some - is to install it in a wagon of some kind that will always be part of the consist.

Or, as Mr Rhos Helyg notes, effect more control over your locomotive by turning down the gas.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Tony, honestly, some very interesting points, which I cannot disagree with (mainly because I do not have Slomo), but you last line almost seems (to) argue for their virtues. :)
Characteristics can be good, or bad.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Unless you are prepared to install a Slo-mo device in each loco - something that might be painful to your pocket but will surely please the makers - the other option, taken up by some - is to install it in a wagon of some kind that will always be part of the consist.

Or, as Mr Rhos Helyg notes, effect more control over your locomotive by turning down the gas.
Agree Tac, I have 2 Roundhouse locs fitted the others are geared drive so slomo not required.

mike bickford

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harden Murrumburrah NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
For improving the performance do you mean it will not run slowly or does not have much power at slow throttle settings? My Roundhouse Forney has always been a good slow speed performer, excellent for shunting. Fitting a SLOMO is academic in this case, as the Forney has inboard eccentrics and valvegear, between the frames. Turning the gas down and run at 20-25psi would be worth a try. Also see if the valve events are okay. Roundhouse have some instructions on their website at Forney Valve Gear My Forney did require new o-rings on the pistons a while ago, the originals having become hard and worn. Your piston o-rings may have gone hard with time as 10 hours usage is fairly low.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
For improving the performance do you mean it will not run slowly or does not have much power at slow throttle settings? My Roundhouse Forney has always been a good slow speed performer, excellent for shunting. Fitting a SLOMO is academic in this case, as the Forney has inboard eccentrics and valvegear, between the frames. Turning the gas down and run at 20-25psi would be worth a try. Also see if the valve events are okay. Roundhouse have some instructions on their website at Forney Valve Gear My Forney did require new o-rings on the pistons a while ago, the originals having become hard and worn. Your piston o-rings may have gone hard with time as 10 hours usage is fairly low.
Ah there is the rub, inside gear is the killer to any slomo conversion. Not had a look below a Forney so not aware of that as an issue. Some time back I was twitching on buying a Roundhouse Garratt, a SloMo for me was a must but when I looked below it would have been impossible to fit a SloMo due to the run of the main steam pipe. Hence I do not nor ever will have a Roundhouse Garratt.

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
My understanding of the principal of a Slo-Mo is that it uses an overdriven flywheel to smooth out the power delivery. But given that nothing is for free in this universe, doesn't the energy required to activate the device have an adverse effect on the available drawbar pull - and wouldn't exactly the same end result be achieved by simply loading up the loco with more rolling stock, rather than driving a flywheel with its associated gear train and bearing friction?

BTW - has anyone done a spring balance drawbar pull comparison - both with and without the device - all other conditions being equal?

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, same thing by adding mass, but drawbar slack/wheel friction would not be as "smooth" as something directly geared to the power plant.

So from a theoretical standpoint yes, from an implementation/practical expression probably not.

But of course then the challenge of controlling the loco.

Be sure to remember that the flywheel is using momentum, not resistance to achieve this, so a slow application of power would most likely not affect drawbar pull significantly, in fact the added system momentum is what makes the slow speed performance "smoother".

Greg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My understanding of the principal of a Slo-Mo is that it uses an overdriven flywheel to smooth out the power delivery. But given that nothing is for free in this universe, doesn't the energy required to activate the device have an adverse effect on the available drawbar pull - and wouldn't exactly the same end result be achieved by simply loading up the loco with more rolling stock, rather than driving a flywheel with its associated gear train and bearing friction?

BTW - has anyone done a spring balance drawbar pull comparison - both with and without the device - all other conditions being equal?
Have not done precise calculations but I have a short section of 1:25 grade on a 4ft radius curve and the pulling power of my Roundhouse Jack and Ted is much the same on the section before and after SloMo fitting.

Reactions: 1 users