Slider Pickups

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Is there any easy way to distinguish between LGB and USA Trains slider pickups and springs?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
LGB:
lgb-63218-pickup-shoes-pack-of-2-with-springs-g-gauge-15001371-600.jpg

USAT;
I could not find a good enough picture, but slightly "thinner", looks like you can interchange them...

They look very similar.... so what are you trying to do or understand?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would say that USA Trains sliders would appear to be slimmer, more 'silver' and shiny, than an LGB offering..

But I am sure there will be an exception to prove the rule?

PhilP

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I would say that USA Trains sliders would appear to be slimmer, more 'silver' and shiny, than an LGB offering..

But I am sure there will be an exception to prove the rule?

PhilP
Hello PhilP
I have been trying to replace the sliders on my track cleaning loco. I have a bag full of them and they are not segregated by manufacturer. I found that some of them would not move vertically very easily and tended to stick and hence my question. I began to think that USA trains sliders and not solid on the bottom face and have a hole there whereas LGB are solid. Is this correct?

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB sliders are far superior to the USAT ones. I swop all of them out where I can.

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg

No their shape. They are slightly more bent in the middle. So what happens is that at our club where the tracks are very dirty, they tend to 'bite' with the end facing the direction the loco is going in. Resulting in it lifting opposite end. Couple of rounds and they are absolutely useless. On the BoBo blocks they also tend to get caught in the frog on a LGB R5 switch. The LGB ones stay flat. Always.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
418421_20210423_091723.jpg

lgb-63218-pickup-shoes-pack-of-2-with-springs-g-gauge-15001371-600.jpg

Really? I'd submit the curve IN THE CENTER is the same. Look at the pictures. There is no significant difference in curvature.

Over the years, and mentioned in this thread is that the LGB is WIDER and tends to catch less. Also the angle of the slider from horizontal is important.

Also the contour on the ends is different, the USAT is more angular, more likes a 45 degree cut on the corner. Also the ends are bent up more sharply, you can see the "crease" in the USAT where the LGB looks like a more even curve.

In the US we deal with the LGB, USAT and MTH sliders. In my opinion they all suck, and I remove them. :giggle:

Greg

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, change NO to YES, sorry, the dumb picture did not embed, and was fighting with that...

Yes, all the USAT ones I have do indeed have the oval hole in the slider face.

418421_20210423_091723.jpg

Greg
Are the springs the same diameter and length?