Skew Gears

Steveg58

Gauge 1 @ 1:24 modeling West Australian if possibl
12 Nov 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Best answers
Over in the MLS forums someone asked about the availability of skew gears. David Bailey of DJB Engineering offered to make some if he could get enough takers to make the casting run economical. Skew gears are used similarly to bevel gears but where you need he two shafts to be able to cross. Mostly used in Climax and Hiesler but would also be useful for a sentinel steam autocoach. Anyone here interested apart from me?

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Possibly Steve, for a future project. Drop me a PM with more details if you like.

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Just a thought?

http://meccanoman.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_14_69&osCsid=194cd9c2639dfc2f9464284795b3bbd6 < Link To http://meccanoman.co.uk/c...9dfc2f9464284795b3bbd6

Here's a pic from their site:-

2a604e6a793e4f2aa18a1f649a52ae19.jpg

Meccano stuff used to be 5/32in (4mm) bore.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
One of the big issues with gears, as well as lack of availability in the large scale that we model, is the lack of standardisation of axle diameter.

I could be very interested if these gears were made to match something like Slaters axles.

Steveg58

12 Nov 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
I could be very interested if these gears were made to match something like Slaters axles.

You'll have to ask David. Personally I'm just happy to have some. I'll get axles made to fit.

Steveg

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
You'll have to ask David. Personally I'm just happy to have some. I'll get axles made to fit.

The GRS website lists most Slaters axles as 3mm.
Slaters sometimes mention 1/8" which is bigger by almost 7 thou.

Someone on here may have some thoughts about a suitable spacer sleeve?

It was once said that "a measurement that does not quote tolerances is not a measurement"
Or something like that.

David

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Don't need any gears at present but I read the thread and thought, how would you know if you wanted them if you don't know what the specification is/going to be?? I guess somebody will need to take a leap of faith and just make 'em.........Paul........

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
LTfan said:

The GRS website lists most Slaters axles as 3mm.
Slaters sometimes mention 1/8" which is bigger by almost 7 thou.

Someone on here may have some thoughts about a suitable spacer sleeve?

It was once said that "a measurement that does not quote tolerances is not a measurement"
Or something like that.

David

Well, it all depends.........

Gauge 1 loco drivers (of which some are suitbale for 15mm scale, are 1/4"
I think it's the 0 Gauge stuff that's 1/8"
But what's difficult to deal with is the axle daimeter for wheels for diesels

I've always found it a tad confusing, and, to be honest, a right pain in the wotsist.

as I said on my first post, the lack of gears in this scale is almost as bad as the lack of suitable axles/wheels.

But I have a cunning plan for a diesel, and would still be interested in a pair of skew gear sets.

Steveg58

12 Nov 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
But I have a cunning plan for a diesel, and would still be interested in a pair of skew gear sets.

A steamsel perhaps? That's what I'm working towards and the skew gears are my fallback position if the electrics don't work as planned. If I don't use them for that then the Sentinel steam coach starts to look good.

Steveg

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Here's a Pickering steam rail-motor.

8b8df7fa0cca493fa1ddb7534fbe1359.jpg

David

Edit - just noticed it has a battery-holder for the r/c.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
LTfan said:
Here's a Pickering steam rail-motor.

images

David

Edit - just noticed it has a battery-holder for the r/c.

Ah, the Colonel :clap::clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Gears..? Have a look at http://www.hpcgears.com/ < Link To www.hpcgears.com
They have hundreds of different gears including some they call helical (skew?), Nice thick small catalogue free for the asking.

Yes, but I seem to remember the gears are quite expensive :thinking:

Steveg58

12 Nov 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Best answers
ROSS said:
Gears..? Have a look at http://www.hpcgears.com/ < Link To www.hpcgears.com
They have hundreds of different gears including some they call helical (skew?), Nice thick small catalogue free for the asking.

I usually get my gears at SDP-SI but HPC seem to have a good range too. Helical gears are like a coarse worm gear and the distance between the shafts is always the sum of the two gear radiuses. With skew gears they are constructed more like bevel gears (although skew crown wheels also exist) and the distance between the shafts can be less than the radius of the large wheel. Much more compact you see.

Cheers,

Steveg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The big thing about skew gears is that they place less loda on the motor shaft and the gear teeth when the power shuts off.

That's why worm gears are OK for the smaller scales, but when you get to big heavy trains like ours, worm gears have to be treated with a bit of care.

I can never understand why there's virtually no use made of flywheels on G Scale locos - they can save an awful lot of problems.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The drive on this scratch built chassis uses a gearbox from ABC, and they use skew gears for the drive to the frist stage of the gearbox :clap:

2a2589b6356343879f3b8a641ce3f42d.jpg

Steveg58

12 Nov 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
The drive on this scratch built chassis uses a gearbox from ABC, and they use skew gears for the drive to the frist stage of the gearbox :clap:

No, Thats what we have been calling a helical gear. The motor shaft sits above the top on the large gear. Essentially a worm gear cut at 45 degrees.
Have a look at
moz-screenshot.jpg
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Hiraoka.htm < Link To image 09-1 on this page for a real bevel skew gear. See how compact it is so it can have a reasonable ratio but still sit comfortably below the top of the bogie.

Cheers,

Steveg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Steveg58 said:
Rhinochugger said:

No, Thats what we have been calling a helical gear. The motor shaft sits above the top on the large gear. Essentially a worm gear cut at 45 degrees.
Have a look at
moz-screenshot.jpg
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Hiraoka.htm < Link To image 09-1 on this page for a real bevel skew gear. See how compact it is so it can have a reasonable ratio but still sit comfortably below the top of the bogie.

Cheers,

Steveg

Oh, OK, even better :clap: