Simple Wiring Help

Greenoit

Registered
8 Nov 2015
Blackburn
Best answers
Hi everyone, i'm a newcomer so il apologise now for the lack of knowledge! I've got an LGB starter set 78302, that I've expanded with different points etc.
I've tried a simple track layout with a loop at one end, straight track that then leads into another loop at the opposite end.
The train works fine when the track isn't complete, as soon as I connect the track together completing the circuit, the train stops.
I'm sure this is going to be something really simple for you guys.
Look forward to a helpful reply :)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
you have created a short circuit. By making a loop you are connecting one rail to the other. Try tracing one rail around your loop - you will find it meets the other rail. It is possible to buy special reversing loop modules to enable the power to switch to prevent the short circuit but as your a newcomer its probably easier to just create a continuous loop. Is it possible to double track the middle straight track to create a 'dog bone' shape.
dogbone.png

Last edited:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Greenoit

Registered
8 Nov 2015
Blackburn
Best answers
Thanks guys, I was aiming to reduce the amount of track between the two loops by only having one line rather than a continuous loop.
Il have a look at the modules.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
There is one of the simpler modules for sale in the Private Sales section at the moment here:

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/lgb-track-items.306098/

While using one of these sets will work fine, and is the simplest solution to the "reversing loop" problem (especially as you're only using analogue DC power), just be aware that it will not allow your train to run continuously without operator input - as the train enters the loop it will stop, and to make it continue you have to reverse the controller knob. A good way of "disguising" this effect is to have a little station halt at the place where the train will stop (which is determined by where in the loop you put the first of the two special track pieces in the 1015 set) - then the train will always stop at the halt, then you reverse the controller and it moves off again!
There ARE ways of automating this operation with various bits of LGB's "EPL" system of track contacts and relay switches, but this starts to get a little bit more complicated......

Jon.

Greenoit

Registered
8 Nov 2015
Blackburn
Best answers
Thanks Jon, I was hoping it would run continuously, I like the idea of having station at the points the train stops. So basically at this point, reverse the direction on the controller and the train continues to the next reversing loop section? Il give this a go, thanks for the suggestion.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon, I was hoping it would run continuously, I like the idea of having station at the points the train stops. So basically at this point, reverse the direction on the controller and the train continues to the next reversing loop section? Il give this a go, thanks for the suggestion.

You only need to do the controller reverse once for each trip through the loop - one of the two pieces of track in the 1015 set is just a two-rail isolating break to prevent the short-circuits; the other piece - the bit that does the work - is also a two-rail isolator but has a diode circuit inside it (under the black cover between the rails) that deals with the controller polarity being reversed with the control knob, while the loco still runs in the same direction through the loop.
Actually, my apologies - I've just double-checked the online instructions for the 1015 and I think that I did get something wrong in my earlier post - as I now think I understand it, the train will NOT stop automatically, it will continue to run round the loop but you MUST manually reverse the controller while it is doing this - otherwise you will still get a short as the metal wheels exit the loop. So, you need to keep an eye on the loco and be sure you are controlling it while it's in the loop, not just let it run. So, all the more reason to put a little station halt in the loop section and make sure that you always stop the train at that station, reverse the controller and pull away again!
There are definitely ways of automating this operation using all off-the-shelf LGB parts, using track contacts to trip a polarity reversing switch while the train travels round the loop - this way you will get automatic hands-off operation with no stopping of the train; I'm sure there are several folks on here who would talk you through such a set-up if you wanted to tackle it.

Sorry for any confusion earlier, I've not used one of the 1015 sets personally as I've been DCC from the start (this time round).....

Jon.

PS: if you wanted completely seamless automated operation, I think that the newer version of the Massoth reversing loop control module (designed mainly for DCC layouts) is now also capable of operating in an analogue DC mode..... but one of these will set you back around seventy quid.....
http://gardenrailoutlet.co.uk/massoth-dimax-reverse-loop-module

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Why not get a hold of an LGB Reverse Loop set for analog. There are most likely some on Ebay. The one that Playmofire has for sale is the one I'm talking about. To make it completely automatic you will need two LGB point motors and of course two turnouts. The book, "The World of LGB" has all of the diagrams you would need to make the layout you want.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Why not get a hold of an LGB Reverse Loop set for analog. There are most likely some on Ebay. The one that Playmofire has for sale is the one I'm talking about. To make it completely automatic you will need two LGB point motors and of course two turnouts. The book, "The World of LGB" has all of the diagrams you would need to make the layout you want.

No, it's not me with it for sale, and I think Greenoit is already buying the one you're thinking of.

I'm no expert on this, but surely the points can be manual and just set for the correct route as there is only one way round the loop which the system will allow if it is to work.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The point(s) can be manual, and sprung, to hold one way.. The train will 'push-through' in one direction.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB has a diagram for two way travel though the loop. I think it just requires anoth point motor or two. I have to look it up in the book to be sure.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Many moons ago when I first moved the railway into the garden I went for this dogbone shape with single track between. Yes you only need manual spring loaded points as you can only go around each loop one way I found it a bit of a pain having to stop and reverse power on each loop ( I wanted trains to run conituiosly whilst I did other jobs, so made an auto power reverse unit (using two relays, reed switches in the track and magnets under the locos to switch them) Most of the time it worked well, but does have its disadvantages, like you can only run one train at a time, not too bad when you first set up but when you acquire more loco.s stock etc I evenchatley doubled the track between the loops when I extended the line and it runs very well now. Take it from me, keep it simple and double the track between the loops (as in Alans drawing) its a lot less hassel and saves you quite a few bob as well.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I have two reversing loops on Taita Gorge Railway, each controlled by nothing more than two sets of insulated joints, and a DPDT switch. I can run either way around each loop. Cheap, and simple.

It does, however, require a bit of discipline when operating. The DPDT switch has to be set the same way as the points.... drive train into loop, right up to the 'exit' insulators. Stop train. Reset the points, flip the DPDT switch, and change direction on controller, and drive away. If you've done it properly, the the whole reverse loop remains set for the next movement, albeit, in the other direction.

Just think of running in 'dark territory', where the crew stop the trains, and get out to set the points themselves.

Greenoit

Registered
8 Nov 2015
Blackburn
Best answers
Thanks for the feedback guys, il be giving it a go this weekend. I'm hoping to not have manual input and to let the train run continuously if possible, I only have the one train at the moment.

Greenoit

Registered
8 Nov 2015
Blackburn
Best answers
A little delayed reply but... The reverse loop set works a treat. Having to throw the switch in the opposite direction but that's good enough for now, think I need a few more sets. Cheers everyone.