Simple "turtle" build

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just took the armor ends off the printer. Still a lot of work to do but off to a good start. I had a friend draw up the ends and roof for me. He did a nice job. I'm also making an enclose roof for it. More photos to come as work progresses. This is a 7/8ths loco.turtle1.jpgturtle2.jpgturtle3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The roof supports were actually made of threaded rods, so that the roof could be lowered when nearer the front line :nod::nod:

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
This is as far as I can go until my paint gets here. Has all the revised printed parts. It was a ton of fun to do.turtle4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
while I'm waiting for the paint I started printing parts for the fully enclosed versionturtle5.jpg

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
These things are real history. The reason for them being introduced was that, in WW1, a steam loco would create enough smoke and /or steam for its location to be spotted by enemy artillery, with the inevitable consequences. Thus, a petrol engined loco was required, and the basic, open, Simplex loco was used on may industrial railways throughout the UK after the war.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
while I'm waiting for the paint I started printing parts for the fully enclosed versionView attachment 293809
Nice Model, back on 18/8/73 I visited Knostrop Sewage Works near Leeds where a couple of theses beasties were hiding away. Used to visit a few Sewage works in those days chasing NG Diesels that appeared to like the aroma present for some unaccountable reason. I think these 2 Turtles are now preserved somewhere.
image.jpg

Last edited:

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm considering offering these on my etsy site if I find there is interest. Have to finish the full armor one first.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I decide to offer it on my etsy store 3D printed it should be half of that in 7/8ths.
Yeah, don't forget the Swift Sixteen offering is a complete kit ready for, but not including, battery / RC control

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The Swift Sixteen kit is a delight to make and results in an excellent model -just as your 3D print does. I had a foray into 7/8ths a few years back, and bought what I believed at the time was the last 7/8ths kit -I think Rob had plenty of people say they wanted one, but not as many who actually bought one when he had developed and produced a batch; my memory is that the first run was about 30.
The 32mm version sold well and was still available last time I saw the Swift Sixteen stand (abound two years ago!).

Here's my 7/8ths one:
1641222109378.jpeg
Its loading gauge was so wide I had to build a new bridge (just to the left in the pic) so I could run it on my 15mm/ft line!

At least one one of the preserved Turtles is at the Apedale Railway: A Bale of Turtles
It is amazing to think of the driver sitting encased in the loco with a vast radiator next to him!

Reactions: 1 user