Country flag
Cracking job !

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sharing my simple magnetic couplers as used on my Ffestiniog stock. 16mm Narrow Gauge magnetic coupling by noiseboy72

Hopefully of use to someone. They just need a 6mm magnet and a small screw to complete.

View attachment 314948
Nice job but watch out for derailments on sharp curves because there is no flexibility in the horizontal plane. I have a 009 layout (for indoor amusement) and recently replaced all the couplings with Hunt magnetic couplings. The result was frequent derailments on sharp curves so I had to change them all back.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'll ask No2 Child to print some off. The magnets will need some research, too weak and the train length will be a problem, too strong and as Peter says, there will be no flexibility unless the unit can freely swivel

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job but watch out for derailments on sharp curves because there is no flexibility in the horizontal plane. I have a 009 layout (for indoor amusement) and recently replaced all the couplings with Hunt magnetic couplings. The result was frequent derailments on sharp curves so I had to change them all back.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Thank you.
I designed the coupling to have quite a lot of both horizontal and vertical slop - much easier to attain in G scale, so the coupling can cope with 2' radius. The body is larger than the coupling shaft, and by using a couple of M2 sized self tapping screws as the pivot, about 30⁰ of movement are possible for each coupler.

Quick video of the stock on my garden railway, which has 2'6" curves in a couple of places.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very good, definitely worth a go.

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I'll ask No2 Child to print some off. The magnets will need some research, too weak and the train length will be a problem, too strong and as Peter says, there will be no flexibility unless the unit can freely swivel
I used 6mm x 2mm. They have a holding force of about 750 grams, which is not far off the tractive effort of even quite a large loco. Make sure the magnet faces sit slightly proud of the coupling, so that they fully connect. They do need quite a tug to disconnect!

You can always adjust the screws and screw holes to give more flexibility if required.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I used 6mm x 2mm. They have a holding force of about 750 grams, which is not far off the tractive effort of even quite a large loco. Make sure the magnet faces sit slightly proud of the coupling, so that they fully connect. They do need quite a tug to disconnect!

You can always adjust the screws and screw holes to give more flexibility if required.
Hi, I may be missing something here, if so, please accept my apologies. In my head one would need two magnets a N and a S side by side, on each buffer face, otherwise you could end up with, say two N magnets meeting and repelling rather than a N and S meeting and attracting. I can see the reason for wanting to use magnets, and would be interested in trying if it can be made to work, maybe you have found something like a very small horseshoe magnet, and I am just typing the wrong words into google. Could you maybe post a link to what magnet you have used? Thanks for sharing this idea, and sorry again if I have miss read it. David

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I may be missing something here, if so, please accept my apologies. In my head one would need two magnets a N and a S side by side, on each buffer face, otherwise you could end up with, say two N magnets meeting and repelling rather than a N and S meeting and attracting. I can see the reason for wanting to use magnets, and would be interested in trying if it can be made to work, maybe you have found something like a very small horseshoe magnet, and I am just typing the wrong words into google. Could you maybe post a link to what magnet you have used? Thanks for sharing this idea, and sorry again if I have miss read it. David
You are correct, these are handed couplers, so if your stock gets turned in service, it may not be suitable.

I do have a design tweaked by another user, which uses a pair of 3mm magnets mounted North to South, side by side. I'll upload the files to Thingiverse.com and share the link.

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
1688714047041.png
This is the dual magnet version.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Sounds great,
I'm sorry I've just re-read my post, and I sounded a bit negative, I do apologise, I certainly didn't mean to! The design has got to be easier to use than Accucraft choppers!

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds great,
I'm sorry I've just re-read my post, and I sounded a bit negative, I do apologise, I certainly didn't mean to! The design has got to be easier to use than Accucraft choppers!
No apologies required! Let me know how you get on.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The hardest bit would be convincing No2 Child to stop printing Star Wars stuff, and print something useful

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The hardest bit would be convincing No2 Child to stop printing Star Wars stuff, and print something useful
Oh Stars Wars stuff, can I get an order in for a 1:24 R2D2 please?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Oh Stars Wars stuff, can I get an order in for a 1:24 R2D2 please?
We did look into it for you, Jon. Unfortunately the printer wouldn't be able to cope with the detailing, a resin printer would be required

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
We did look into it for you, Jon. Unfortunately the printer wouldn't be able to cope with the detailing, a resin printer would be required
I can do resin. I'm sure a deal can be struck...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag