dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
On the basis that it is nice to be ahead of oneself, plus it really is on its way if not now but after the 21st we can at least begin to think about the possibility of warmer times to come. Now to show the living proof of that, a little Snowdrop this morning making a brave entry to thie world.
image.jpeg
Will be in full flower over Christmas quite likely and a few of it's brothers and sisters as well I expect.

Reactions: 2 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
On the basis that it is nice to be ahead of oneself, plus it really is on its way if not now but after the 21st we can at least begin to think about the possibility of warmer times to come. Now to show the living proof of that, a little Snowdrop this morning making a brave entry to thie world.
View attachment 230800
Will be in full flower over Christmas quite likely and a few of it's brothers and sisters as well I expect.
We've some Snowdrops out here as well. The seasons seem to have shifted somewhat, it always seems we have more summery weather in the early spring or autumn than we do in the actual summer.

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Not one durned sign of Spring, around here in Ottawa. It was -15C, with light snow, here this morning. We don't expect many, if any signs of Spring around here until late March, or early April.
Fr.Fred

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Primroses in our local churchyard, and catkins on the willows..............

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
We have aconites in the front garden, under the maple tree....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Is that a form of explosive Gizzy?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Is that a form of explosive Gizzy?
Hope not!

My better half told me that what they are?

I wouldn't know a flower from a weed....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hope not!

My better half told me that what they are?

I wouldn't know a flower from a weed....
A weed is a flower growing where you don't want it to, or so I've been told!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
So anything in the track bed is fair game for the weed killer spray gun then....:devil:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
So anything in the track bed is fair game for the weed killer spray gun then....:devil:
Yes, just make sure it's the TRACK bed you're spraying, any other bed would probably get you into deep trouble, very deep trouble:giggle:

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag

.....but it could be a monkshead Bressingham Spire which has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Golden Medal Award.....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
.....but it could be a monkshead Bressingham Spire which has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Golden Medal Award.....
Could be! But if it's in your way........:think:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I was in Norfolk helping a friend move over the weekend and I have been pestering for some of these little beuties that flower with Snowdrops. As the House was being left I was given permission to dig out a few plugs with some Yellow Aconites. This year they are looking fine after being planted yesterday, I hooe they continue to survive and thrive in future years. Seen with some more Snowdrops, the one that flowered before Christmas on the left is looking a little sad but lots of nice new ones showing and other bulbs making their presence to the new year.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The Snowdrops are still with me as are the Aconites, brave little fellows that are now being joined by some Crocus. Celondine must be thinking about popping its head up by now as well, not seen any as yet.

But in the meantime another pic of some Snowdrops, this time at night to show that these brave little fellows like to be showy 24/7. The mind your own business is not completely dead and will recover once the Frost has ceased. Though the Moss in the Track does not bother and is making headway in the Postcrete Ballast at this shaded location.image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Spring has certainly sprung in DunnyTowers, well a leak in the Pond actually. Looks like the Ice may have punctured the liner about a foot down from the mean Water Level. In truth the Pond was not the best, poor marginal areas, cruddy cheep Liner and not very well made all told. Surprising really as the previous owners of the House professed to be Professional Gardeners! Note to self and anyone else not to use them!

So I had been thinking of remaking the Pond and this time using Butyl Liner which has a much longer shelf life, better marginal area's and perhaps a slightly more formal feel on one side. Now all I need is my roundtuit to kick in, meanwhile a couple of pictures of the problem.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Oh and yesterday the Newts were all busy doing their thing so that will have to be tackled as well. Good job I have another pond to transfer them to and lots of the gunk from the bottom of the Pond which is full of life too.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 234416 View attachment 234415 This seasons daffodils starting to bloom at the CFR.
I though that I had eradicated all the Daffs from my Garden but these little blighters are showing their heads, though I will keeping a close eye on them as they could be narcissus. Never had any before but it is just possible that I may have removed all of them without giving em a chance! It did surprise me a little that there were not any as the previous owners were mad about plants.image.jpeg
These have just come into flower in the last day or so, clearly some serious frost damage on the leaves.
image.jpeg
Finally this one is flowering in the full shade behind the top rockery, always a good reliable plant to help in such areas and also supresses a few weeds with the large evergreen leaf.
image.jpeg
Can we now say that Spring has finally Sprung this year?

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
It is amazing how bulbs seem to escape collection when you are clearing the garden.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It is amazing how bulbs seem to escape collection when you are clearing the garden.
Yes the little devils do fornication and leave little babies all over the place! It never ceases to surprise me how small Snowdrop Bulbs are when they first start out in life, fortunately for me I can neve have enough of them.