Shuttle unit

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi all

I'm planning a short tram section on my new layout with a single motored lgb tram. I'd like it to run on an auto shuttle unit but the LGB one is rather expensive. Any one recommend a good unit, ideally one that doesn't cause a very sudden stop?

Thanks

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Assuming that your running analog, the AristoCraft reverser that I use is an abrupt stop. At toy train speeds the engine will slide a ways, but I run my shuttle equipment quite slowly so it's not noticable. I have watched the Massoth one at train shows and it appears to be smooth and reliable, although a little pricey here in the U.S.

Enginehouse

Amateur Radio, 16mm/G scale railways
24 Oct 2009
Peterborough
Best answers
The MERG shuttle is very effective [I have two here] and is simple to put together in the desired format. I have one running on N-Gauge and another on the outdoor G layout. UK based, MERG [Model Electronics Railway Group] provide all sorts of interesting and extremely efficient devices for controlling trains and unlimited support to members. Typing MERG into a search engine finds their home and on page one is details of the shuttle control unit.

I also "discovered" a nice unit for DC powered one stage controlling of point sets via simple servos to set a single [path/route] with one push button. No idea of membership costs nowadays as I reappraised my needs for memberships and lapsed my membership.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Have you considered using the LGB decoder. A couple of reed switches and a latching relay to reverse the polarity of the track.
The tram goes over the reed switch and does "a hard reverse". The decoder slows the tram down at the rate programmed in, it waits as programed in CV58, then accelerates back at the rate programmed into it. The track is always alive so the lights stay on.
It works!

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
a158ea963fe4451ab212215a18340b8d.jpg

I use the diode method referred to in Tramcar Trev's post to decelerate/accelerate in/out of each terminus.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Many thanks guys. Well the decoder option is interesting as the tram is chipped. I have no way of programming it mind, but will look into how to build the circuit. Either way it will be a shortish run at low speeds.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
hornbeam said:
Many thanks guys. Well the decoder option is interesting as the tram is chipped. I have no way of programming it mind, but will look into how to build the circuit. Either way it will be a shortish run at low speeds.
As the loco is chipped IMHO polarity reversal is the way to go, and I'm an analogue dinosaur! :rofl:
Adjusting the CVs is simple with the right kit and will have no adverse effects on analogue or digital operation.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The following is from an LGB document "advantages of LGB decoders on Analogue" dated Oct 2002

CV58: Wait time
If the polarity of the track power is reversed abruptly, the loco will brake with the
selected deceleration (CV4). After the programmed wait time has elapsed, the loco will
accelerate with the selected acceleration (CV3) in the opposite direction.
With two 17100 EPL Track Contacts that switch a relay consisting of a 12010 EPL
Switch Drive with attached 12070 EPL Supplementary Switch, you can reverse the
polarity at the ends of a line to have the train

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Well looks like it won't cost me as much as I thought. Makes me very happy :)