Show us your Flaps ! (shed exit doors inspiration required)

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Right, Just moving my shed to the start of the line and would love to see what others have done for entry/exit holes/flaps etc for the railway to go through from their sheds, outbuildings etc. ! show me your flaps !

Last edited:

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks John . Love it thats a "tight" clearence, how far off the ground does it come out. ?

From memory 700mm give or take a bit of bodging. The hole is about 125w by 170h. I bought that Devious Diesel then thought, I wonder if it will fit? Luckily it did!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not really a shed as such, but I have this 'Depot' at the end of my line where I can store 3 freight trains ready to run.

It is 2 Ketter garden storage benches bolted together, with the sides cut out for track access. A 3/4 in piece of re-inforced Plywood board painted black is secured from the inside of the bench. I guess this is my 'flap' although it isn't hinged.

The 3 roads inside are Bachmann Plastic track, so no Locomotives are allowed any further than just inside the Depot's entrance....

20230524_150929 (1).jpg
thumbnail_20200802_165946.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My simples have been Ally ones, these open from the side and use small nuts n bolts from ally to hinge then screwed into the frame built round the hole. Bits of wood with glue insets stop mice access, these are placed onto the track before doors shut which are banged in place to slightly overlapping screws. Look at my new railway link below, page 3 post 57.

I have done similar with wooden doors in 2 other places, one hinging up the other 2 sideways hinged. All have previously been posted in here somewhere!

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have 3 catflaps in my plastic shed, operated manually from inside by cord and pulley, so I don't have to bend down. Clearance is OK for LGB but tight for some Piko and so 'small dogflaps' would be better, given sufficient room to fit them. Magnets help them close and they can be locked by sliding the coloured bits.
catflap_installed.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not really a shed as such, but I have this 'Depot' at the end of my line where I can store 3 freight trains ready to run.

It is 2 Ketter garden storage benches bolted together, with the sides cut out for track access. A 3/4 in piece of re-inforced Plywood board painted black is secured from the inside of the bench. I guess this is my 'flap' although it isn't hinged.

The 3 roads inside are Bachmann Plastic track, so no Locomotives are allowed any further than just inside the Depot's entrance....

View attachment 319669
Oo, Box Idea very good, I do find those thing cost the earth and the plastic is a brittle as my humour. But great idea

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have 3 catflaps in my plastic shed, operated manually from inside by cord and pulley, so I don't have to bend down. Clearance is OK for LGB but tight for some Piko and so 'small dogflaps' would be better, given sufficient room to fit them. Magnets help them close and they can be locked by sliding the coloured bits.
View attachment 319686
Now this is interesting, Just invested 180 quid (wifes idea so it got the go ahead straight away strangly) in a new chicken door for the chooks which has its own up and down motor controller and sunset/sunrise sensor ! maybe this could be another RC project ??

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Now this is interesting, Just invested 180 quid (wifes idea so it got the go ahead straight away strangly) in a new chicken door for the chooks which has its own up and down motor controller and sunset/sunrise sensor ! maybe this could be another RC project ??
Idea for the project.
Put some sort of tube (eg a small piece of conduit or 12 or 19mm garden poly irrigation pipe) over the sensor so it is dark all the time; at the other end put some LEDs (eg RC car headlights) and use an RC switch to operate them so the flap does not open unless you want it to.

Switch

RC car headlights

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
My hi-tech friend, who lives in hurricane-prone Florida, had wind-proof shutters installed over his house windows. He had the shutter guys make him access doors for his garage storage. There's another door at the other end.

IMG_1711 doggy door.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ok I found time this morning to take new pics of my 5 shed doors.

The first 2 one above the other are South exit from my shed leading from Alexisbad high level and the Fiddle Yard low level. They are crude cut outs from the shed with wooden hinged made up doors, there is a track insert to hopefully stop mice entering the shed and all the doors have such a bodged up feature. Pond liner has also been used on these 2 doors for the same purpose.
IMG_7658.jpeg
IMG_7659.jpeg
IMG_7660.jpeg
The next two are at the West exit to the shed and are from similar places. This time I used Ally Sheed cut to size with nuts n bolts to hold 2 hinges to each door with the other side of the hinge screwed to a similar frame to that made on the South exits. These doors are held in place when shut by a badly positioned round head screw.
IMG_7657.jpegIMG_7651.jpeg
IMG_7652.jpeg
IMG_7653.jpeg
The final door also a West exit but this time double track. Due to spacing issues this one had to be hinged upwards and utilises a short piece of chain and a hook to hold it in place, not very pretty but does the job. Note the lock, was in stock so used. As this door hinges up some roofing membrane has been added to keep things dry if we get a quick wetting during operating sessions.
IMG_7654.jpeg

IMG_7655.jpeg
IMG_7656.jpeg
Note that in places security screws have been used, more visible on the last door.

Reactions: 1 users