SHOCK!! HORROR!! WGLR goes 16mm

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Maldwyn has had a new front guard rail fitted (from brass tube). The wear around the "corners" was inspired by Steph`s recent article in Garden Rail on the 7/8ths manrider she built ........................ oh gawd, I`ve mentioned 7/8ths again there.  :- :-

fin1 (600 x 450).jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
3 of the Binnie granite wagons have been lettered for the Clee Hill Granite Co. courtesy of rub down transfers from Powsides. These are actually for 7mm scale standard gauge wagons, but I`ve since found out that the Clee Hill site (on a branch from Ludlow) actually had a narrow gauge system too. It was 3` gauge ..... there`s ironic!!  :D :D

I`m really happy with the distressing around the wagon tops, simulating years of loading granite from above. The idea is that Clee Hill sub-contracted granite extracation from the Gooey quarries and provided wagons for the job.

fin3 (600 x 450).jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I`m quite pleased with the subtle weathering on the guards van. It`s very easy to go OTT on a light coloured vehicle, but this came out pretty well with VERY thin washes of dark grey and a few passes with the airbrush (Tamiya acrylic paints). It`s so subtle, it actually doesn`t show up much in the photo.

I`ve eventually plumped for the Gooey Quarry Tramway. Maybe not as imaginative as some of the alternatives discussed, but it does what it says on the tin .............. a Fray Bentos tin in this case. It reminds me of a tin of corned beef.  :happy: :happy:

fin6 (600 x 450).jpg

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Nice cornbeef wagon Mel :happy: All very tempting this Swift Sixteen stuff.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
GQT - Gardeners' Question Time
Hadn't realised you were a R4 devotee, Mel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp2f

As well as carrying quarrying stuff, maybe there could be allotments or a Market Garden somewhere long the line :)

Rik

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ge_rik said:
GQT - Gardeners' Question Time
Hadn't realised you were a R4 devotee, Mel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp2f

As well as carrying quarrying stuff, maybe there could be allotments or a Market Garden somewhere long the line :)

Rik

Brilliant!! I came up with a pun and didn't even know it! :D :D

Mind you, a little railway carrying stuff to allotments and market gardens sounds worryingly like an idea for a 7/8ths line? :eek: :eek:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
yb281 said:
Mind you, a little railway carrying stuff to allotments and market gardens sounds worryingly like an idea for a 7/8ths line? :eek: :eek:

Listen to the voices Mel...... ;)

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Well, that`s the 32mm train complete then. Won`t be buying any more stock ............................... WRONG!!!!  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Attachments

• SANY0001 (5) (600 x 450).jpg
    SANY0001 (5) (600 x 450).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 34

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
nice job mel, never noticed the switches till i looked closer, hardly stand out at all. tough lookin little machine... mart

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Do you know I spotted that yesterday and thought to myself "Mell would love that"

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is all so darned good.
Where does it fit in on your track plan Mel?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Well primarily Mike this 16mm stuff is being accumulated for taking to friend`s 32mm railways so that I`ve got something to run when I visit. As far as the WGLR is concerned, I simply don`t have room anywhere to fit in so much as a loop of track to allow running, so the plan is to lay a short section of track that will be little more than a small diorama on which the stock can be displayed. There are a couple of possibilities as to where this will be, the most likely being on one of the tow paths alongside the canal which passes under the standard gauge line.

As you`ll see in this photo, the left hand tow path is wider, so I`m thinking of building a couple of 32mm gauge sidings on this making a facility for off loading granite into canal barges, the lines disappearing towards the quarries under the bridge.

Attachments

• po2 (600 x 450) (2).jpg
    po2 (600 x 450) (2).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 27

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
That would work in very well.
It will also make the whole scene busier and bustling like real industrial scenes....lovely

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
"I'm thinking of building a couple of 32mm gauge sidings on this making a facility for off loading granite into canal barges, the lines disappearing towards the quarries under the bridge."

Good plan, but could the quarries be behind the observer rather than under the bridge?
I fear even a short driver of that little diesel could bang his head on the bridge unless the photo is deceptive.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
In a word Neil, no. That direction is a footpath and swing seat. If clearances turn out to be too tight, I'll have to resort to plan B. I just don't know what plan B is yet, but it will give me something to think about in the Spring. ;)

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
You could always have some dual gauge track - PECO now do all the components...